Icefishing in the Goon

West Palm to Jacksonville
scotty14

Icefishing in the Goon

Post by scotty14 »

I great friend and I ventured from the Tampa are over to the Great Spacecoast to see if we can start the New Year with a bang. Neither of us have fished recently due to wives, kids, and jobs. We were greeted in Titusville with the biggest cold front of the winter--which brought frigid temps and gusting winds.

I spent the previous week studying google's aerial photos to see if we can hide from the nasty NW winds. I knew we were going to very limited since the entire Lagoon is angled to the NW--meaning that the winds would be blowing parallel to both shorelines.

We enjoyed getting a late start while waiting for the frost and ice to melt from our kayaks

9:45 am: We launched at Beacon 42 giving us the option to stay somewhat protected from the chain of islands spanning 200 some yards off the main shoreline.

We began to work our way to the north against the winds while keeping the sun at our backs. This proved to provide some outstanding sight fishing opportunities. Since the fish were upwind, they didnt even know we were coming. We worked the 1' - 3' flat with Gold Glitter DOA Shrimps and Gold Spoons (Whiched seemed to be the only lure we could keep out of the grass in such shallow water). The first two pics were from the day before which was a miserable windy overcast day.

I managed this small rat red on a 1/4 oz Gold Spoon the day before Seth arrived.

And then this 27 " Red on a Gold Spoon

While working our way northward, we discovered that the flat was crawling with mostly slot reds. We quietly paddled stopping along the way to offer a tasty plastic to these care free redfish.

Seth hooked up first on this refish that I conveniently spooked his way

Following Seth's catch we both went on to hook and miss two more reds. Seth came a bit unprepared with his wet riding Prowler 13 and absorbent jeans. Apparently he did not enjoy sitting in a puddle of water in 38 degree weather :roll:, so we posted up on this island to warm up

Still dry and content, I proceeded to catch this larger Redfish on a Mangrove Red CAL Shad Tail rigged on a 1/8 oz CAL Jighead. This Red was caught in 4 ft of water between two adjacent islands.

I also caught five 15"+ Trout on the CAL Paddle Tail and Gold DOA Shrimp.

It was getting closer to dusk, so we began to head back south to the launch site. The visibility was not nearly as good since the sun was dipping toward the horizon. Seth managed this Red on a DOA Shrimp
As the sun went down, even I was freezing my Buffalo born azz off. The next day called for even colder temps, so Seth and I decided to hit up a bass pond to get Seth his first ever freshwater bass. We were using a Senko worm "Wacky" rigged on a weedless hook. Seth's Senko got hammered on one of his first casts along side some vegetation. To his dismay, he lost my last Senko worm to this green fish. I decide to cast to the same spot and hooked this bass...which happened to have Seth's bait still in its mouth!

I felt bad, so I let him pose with my fish
Someday Seth will catch a bass of his own--he is not missing out on much

Overall, fishing the space coast was a great experience..even with the nasty weather. It kept the flats free of mosquitoes and anglers.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)