IRL-Mims

West Palm to Jacksonville
Devodud

IRL-Mims

Post by Devodud »

I took my canoe out to the Carbide Flats on tuesday. The trout were going nuts in about 6 feet of water. I caught 40+ and my buddy caught 30+. None were very big (biggest I landed was about 19") but for about 2 hours every cast resulted in a hook-up. They were hitting mirrodines, mirrolure soft baits, storm wild-eye's, power bait mullet, small crankbaits, topwater's, and strike king redfish spinnerbait's. There were also a few 30" ladyfish mixed in with the school, they made for some exciting fights with 6lb and 10lb tackle. I also went over to the railroad bridge and caught a few sheepshead and mangrove snappers. I got a hook-up at the bridge using a pinfish bigger than my hand for bait, not sure what it was as the hook pulled after a few minutes. The water was extremely clear and I was seeing small snook up in the heavy grass in about 18" of water, I have no clue how to fish for them in that grass as even texas rig soft plastics were getting all coverd in grass. I also saw a few nice reds, none would take a bait though. No pictures, my camera got wet and died last month.
sv650_ck

Post by sv650_ck »

Holy smokes that a lot of fish. I went out late this morning in Scottsmoor and got skunked. I stayed shallow though looking for redfish.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

I went shallow on my way back to the launch around 1:00 and saw a few reds and 4 small snook (I didn't know that there would be any snook that far north in the Indian river) but not much else. They were all in very shallow water and very heavy floating grass.

how was the water clarity up by scottsmoor, that has a lot to do with it
sv650_ck

Post by sv650_ck »

Devodud wrote:I went shallow on my way back to the launch around 1:00 and saw a few reds and 4 small snook (I didn't know that there would be any snook that far north in the Indian river) but not much else. They were all in very shallow water and very heavy floating grass.

how was the water clarity up by scottsmoor, that has a lot to do with it
Water was very clear but brackish looking. On occasion I've caught snook up in turbull creek around the RR bridge pilings.