EC juvie tarpon

West Palm to Jacksonville
Capt Bob J.

EC juvie tarpon

Post by Capt Bob J. »

I just thought I'd let those that didn't know there are a lot of inshore tarpon around right now. In the last week we've (my charters) jumped around 100 of them from 12 to 50 inches on fly.

Hope y'all are finding them too....
Capt. Robert Jaspers
sv650_ck

Post by sv650_ck »

What's the trick to catching them? I've seen a lot lately north end of IRL but they don't like anything I've got.
Capt Bob J.

juvie tarpon

Post by Capt Bob J. »

Well, although they will hit bait, a flyrod always helps with tarpon, especially the smaller ones, and is really a plus if you want to get them to the boat. Topwater and other heavy lures get shaken off easily when they jump.

I'm guessing the fish you're seeing are probably in dirty water, and while some say dark lures/flies for dark water I don't agree with that, especially when it's shallow. I use white clousers about 2 1/2 inches long stripped just under the surface and strip them very slowly.

The rest is presentation, and of course they have to be hungry. Just because a tarpon rolls to gulp air does not mean it's eating; that just means the water is dirty. Look for fish whacking bait.
Capt. Robert Jaspers
sv650_ck

Re: juvie tarpon

Post by sv650_ck »

Capt Bob J. wrote:Topwater and other heavy lures get shaken off easily when they jump.
Yep - Got a couple of hook-ups but couldn't keep them on the lure. Was cool seeing them jump though.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

where were you when you got the hook ups and what were you using???

were you up towards the creek or were you in the middle of the north part of the lagoon
sv650_ck

Post by sv650_ck »

I saw some in Turnbull creek at the extreme north end of the IRL. There was also a smaller creek south of there that had quite a few. They were feeding on small minnows so i used my small Yozuri minnows.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I have not fished that area in many years, but I have fished them before....we use 1/4 oz Near Clear DOA Shrimp. Working them in various ways and it worked. Try that and see what happens. Shrimp are a good portion of the juvenile tarpon diet.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing