Ok, new to Indian River......need help.

West Palm to Jacksonville
clayking

Ok, new to Indian River......need help.

Post by clayking »

I'm new to fishing in the Indian River (Vero Beach area) and need a few helpful hints. Fishing from a Kayak, both fly rod and spinner.

1. What are the general areas to fish? Along the mangroves and how close? Under docks? Sea Walls? Grass flats, middle or edge? What places are best for which fish?

2. Early morning regardless of tide? Or fishing incoming tide either side of high? Or does it matter that much?

3. LIve baits, free spin or cork?

4. Any good general spots, ie, Moorings flats, oyster beds, pilings of all sorts.

5..Do you use leader wire inshore or just heavier line or none at all.

Anyway, any little bits of help will be appreciated. Even a GPS of your favorite hole......lol...................ck
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Yep.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
clayking

Post by clayking »

BearsFan wrote:Yep.
thanks, you've been a great help. Hopefully, your other 3,000 other posts were more informative, but somehow, I doubt it.................
kreidel

Re: Ok, new to Indian River......need help.

Post by kreidel »

clayking wrote:I'm new to fishing in the Indian River (Vero Beach area) and need a few helpful hints. Fishing from a Kayak, both fly rod and spinner.

1. What are the general areas to fish? Along the mangroves and how close? Under docks? Sea Walls? Grass flats, middle or edge? What places are best for which fish?

2. Early morning regardless of tide? Or fishing incoming tide either side of high? Or does it matter that much?

3. LIve baits, free spin or cork?

4. Any good general spots, ie, Moorings flats, oyster beds, pilings of all sorts.

5..Do you use leader wire inshore or just heavier line or none at all.

Anyway, any little bits of help will be appreciated. Even a GPS of your favorite hole......lol...................ck
I think he pretty much was saying every way you described can produce fish.

The only thing I would add is on 5. use the lightest lb flourocarbon you can get by with for inshore. 10# for trout and red(slot ones) and for snook no less than 30#.
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

BearsFan wrote:Yep.

I second that
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

...strong silent type.....man of few words....

yeppers
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
bluebill

The IRL

Post by bluebill »

A kayak will get you to some good fishing in the Indian River.

I lived in Sebastian for almost two years and fished the river closer to the Sebastian Inlet. The best tidal flow is nearest the inlet on the east side.
Any of the spoil islands are a good bet but some of them get busy with day campers and seadoos on the weekends.

The IRL just east of downtown Vero looks nice but I have never tried it. I have seen jacks and snook there from the banks of Riverside Park

Vero Beach is a very sophisticated place and the lagoon fish there prefer Scampi as bait.

Good Luck
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

clayking wrote:
thanks, you've been a great help. Hopefully, your other 3,000 other posts were more informative, but somehow, I doubt it.................
Your probably right. I used to work in Vero.

Vero Beach lunch break.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

WORK????? YoU W O R K E D???? I'm alerting the media!!!!

I see you're being your usual successful self with the ladies.....but at least this one waved goodbye!!!
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
Wiedy

Post by Wiedy »

Shoot me a message and I will give you all of Bearsfan's secret spots.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

That will be a short message.