7/5-7/7:Mosquito Lagoon

West Palm to Jacksonville
scotty14

7/5-7/7:Mosquito Lagoon

Post by scotty14 »

My good friend Seth and I took a trip over to the famed Mosquito Lagoon. We hit the water Saturday afternoon--it was a bit slow, but I managed a 22 inch trout on a Skitter Walk. We had to get off the water and out of the park by 8pm--upsetting since we had a lot of fishing left in us. Sunday, things picked up a bit. The day started out slow. Seth managed a 17" trout on a 7M, and I got my second 22" trout in two days. I caught him on a DOA fluke (1/8 oz head). Just as I was landing her, a huge gator popped up 100 ft from me and decided to do his mating call. By the way--ML is INFESTED with LARGE gators...and I don't mean trout!

The afternoon was an eventful one. Seth hooked into a very large redfish on his trusty 7M ML at 1:45. He fought that beast for 40 minutes! I was circling around him--trying to get my opportunity to help land him. We agreed that this fish was going to be very difficult to land--he just didnt want to give up. The gusting SE winds didnt help either. I spotted a small sand bar about 200 yds away--so clipped a rope to my Seth's rear handle and towed him to the sand bar. We finally were able to stand and land this beautiful 45inch "Bull" Red. It wasn't easy. After trying to get the boga grip secured on his jaw, all I was left with was the lure in one hand and the bogas in the other! This means our fish was just chillin in 1 ft of water. He began to swim away--but I was able to encircle my arms around the fish. He slithered his way through my hands--I thought I was going to lose him, but finally secured a grip onto his tail. It was the largest redfish Seth has ever caught and the largest I have ever seen in person.
Last edited by scotty14 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Seth lives!! Good to hear that.

Nice redfish.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Nice Scotty, were you able to use any of that info I gave you?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Sickk Mogan Red. :shock:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

that is one monster red!!!! Congrats on your trip out there!

What did he eat?
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

[quote="p911gt2"]that is one monster red!!!! Congrats on your trip out there!

What did he eat?[/quote]

It always helps to read the post, not just look at the pictures :lol: j/k
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

BTW, ...what's with the "my Seth"? 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

Heywood wrote:
p911gt2 wrote:that is one monster red!!!! Congrats on your trip out there!

What did he eat?[/quote]

It always helps to read the post, not just look at the pictures :lol: j/k
That usually helps :lol:
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

My favorite place to fish! And that is one nice red. Congrats Seth.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

sweet red
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

teamshaft3 wrote:BTW, ...what's with the "my Seth"? 8)
:shock: Thanks--didnt want anyone to get the wrong idea.
-Scotty-
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Heywood wrote:Nice Scotty, were you able to use any of that info I gave you?
YES--Thanks Bill. We launched from Eddy Ck the entire weekend. The East/SE winds made it impossible to fish anywhere else.

That big boy took a Chartreuse/Silver 7M Mirror Lure.

Seth called me on the walkie and claimed that he was on a school of 100+ reds the size of his leg....I called Bull Sh** and just kept fishing my spot. :x
-Scotty-
basebplyr1

Post by basebplyr1 »

Well contrary to popular belief, I am still alive just not fishing very much. Fortunately, I didn't forget how to work my MirrOlures. :D I am still in shock after landing that beautiful fish. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined being blessed enough to catch a red like that and on artificial and on my favorite all time lure to boot. Wow, I am still thinking about that fight from cast to landing and shaking my head in disbelief. :shock: Thank you Scotty for posting the report and for getting me out fishing again...not to mention getting me over to that spoil Island so that I could get my wet shaking hands on her for a photo opportunity. :D I appreciate all the kind words from you forum members as well and hopefully this report will mark my return to the forum and the fishing world in general. I have missed this site and all of you greatly.
Seth
>~~~}}}<>

"You a disgrace to da man race"
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I've been telling people that you died in a freak test tube accident.

That's the right way to get back in the action right there.

I'm making a trip over there to that same area later this month.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Nice report and it's great to see you guys posting. i was afraid we had run all of the nice people away. :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
basebplyr1

Post by basebplyr1 »

LivelyBaits wrote:I've been telling people that you died in a freak test tube accident....
Nah, I only lost one of my testicles in that accident. :shock: Fortunately, for you ladies out there, I have a spare. :wink: :lol: Ah, it is good to be back.

Seriously though, I could not have had a better experience than catching that fish to spur me back into some action on the water. Oh yeah, just make sure to put plenty of good insect repelant on yourself and make sure you put in on everywhere. I would go outside in just my boxers and spray a heavy layer all over before I would get dressed. I didn't get bit once. Scot sprayed it on after he got dressed and was getting bit on his back through his shirt. :shock: They were not kidding when they named that place.
Seth
>~~~}}}<>

"You a disgrace to da man race"