ID this fish for me ...

West Palm to Jacksonville
AndrewP

ID this fish for me ...

Post by AndrewP »

What species?

thanks, AP
Disclaimer: Do not take anything I'm about to tell you seriously .......
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Rio Grande Cichlid.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

A little more info
Rio Grande Cichlid (Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum)

Illustration © TPWD
Other Names
Rio Grande Perch, Texas Cichlid
Description
Cichlasoma is derived from cichla, the Greek word for "thrush." It means "resembling cichla." The word cyanoguttatum is also Greek and means "blue spotted." Rio Grande cichlid are distinctive in that they exhibit cream and turquoise colored spots, giving them a speckled look. Background color varies from very dark to light olive. Lighter colored specimens usually exhibit five dark vertical bars. Both dorsal and anal fins are long and tapered extending behind the caudal peduncle (fleshy portion of the tail). Unlike tilapia and most sunfishes, which typically have three spines on the anal fin, Rio Grande cichlids are equipped with five to six anal fin spines. Adult males may also develop a pronounced "hump" on the head which is not present in tilapia. Adults usually range up to about 6 inches in length.
Life History
Like most of its family, the Rio Grande cichlid is generally considered a warm-water fish, and is very sensitive to cold. In general, this fish does not survive at water temperatures below 49°Fahrenheit. The species may do well in heated water, and in spring-fed waters with constant favorable temperatures. Spawning occurs in early spring. Both parents protect their young, which feed primarily on small fish, insects and crustaceans. Adults are also known to consume large quantities of fish eggs when they are available.
Distribution
The distribution of the Rio Grande cichlid in Texas appears to have originally been limited to the lower reaches of the Rio Grande. However, a number of populations have been established in large springs and rivers of Central Texas' Edwards Plateau including the San Marcos, Guadalupe, San Antonio and Colorado rivers. Minimum temperature tolerances in the Colorado River have been measured at 57-66°F.
Other
The Rio Grande cichlid is a fine fighter, and easily caught. It is considered good table fare. The Texas state record was caught in the South Llano River in 2001 and weighed 1.59 pounds.
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

You would hold a fish just after you got your nails done?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

DaveR wrote:You would hold a fish just after you got your nails done?
Hey! That was my only good nail!! Had to look good for the pic!! :wink:

After further research, I'm convinced these guys are Mayan cichlids. Thought at first they might be Spotted tilapia (can find them in the vicinity as well) but after examination of coloration of spot at the tail, teeth, and general characteristics I'm pretty sure they are Mayans. Rare to have them this far north (Melbourne area) - I suspect someone let them go in their backyard canal, and ..... they are multiplying!!

AP
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

This is a Mayan.
I fish they were in my backyard pond. The pull quite nicely.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

that's a beauty of a Mayan! Bigger than anything I've seen so far in this little canal near me ....

The water in the canal is dirty and the bottom is muddy. I have caught a few fish that are lighter in color than the one in my photo (but not as light as yours, DD) and that "eye" at the tail is exactly the same -- dark eye surrounded by turquoise. Bars are there, you just can't see them as well in my pic. Sharp little teeth.

oh, yeah, and you're nails are nice too .... :lol:

AP
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

After looking at pics of the Rio Grands, they don't look like your fish. I'm not ready to pin Mayan on it but it may very well be. There are many species of cichlids and I'm not familiar with them all. Enjoy them until we get a week long freeze!

"SANCTUARY!!!"

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I was just tossing out a guess. It is probably some crazy half mayan half goat mix breed. You must keep in mind that it is E.Central Florida.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good point. Fry one up and give it to Mudfoot. He knows the difference between fried tarpon and fried ladyfish so he might be able to id. it for you from taste.

"SANCTUARY!!!"