cross yer fingers and toes....

West Palm to Jacksonville
mudfoot

cross yer fingers and toes....

Post by mudfoot »

during mullet run too........

Possible Redtide on the East coast

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Health department officials in Daytona Beach are awaiting test results to confirm that the area has red tide.

The results won’t be available until Thursday, but officials are pretty sure red tide has arrived in Volusia County.

"I can feel it now. Like you can’t get your throat clear," beachgoer Dat Gaza said.

Gaza has, what some call, a sea cough, one she shares with many others along the beach.

The health department said the algae bloom is rare on the East Coast, so some people in the area don’t even know what red tide is.

"Red tide is a microscopic algae. It produces a toxin that causes respiratory irritation and watery eyes," health department official Chip Schelble said.

Red tide is commonly found on the Gulf Coast and this bloom was likely blown over on the Gulf Stream.

Flagler and Jacksonville Beaches already have a confirmed bloom.
"YOU GOT NUTTIN!"
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

FRESHWATER ANYONE?
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: cross yer fingers and toes....

Post by Todd »

mudfoot wrote:Red tide is commonly found on the Gulf Coast and this bloom was likely blown over on the Gulf Stream.
And you East Coast guys say we never give you anything nice.

That sucks, red tide in the lagoon system could be a nightmare.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

Confirmed

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- It has been confirmed that red tide is in effect across Central Florida beaches.

Scientists have found the algae bloom that spawned a beach alert.

The red tide is stinging the eyes and throats of coastal residents and visitors throughout Central Florida.

The latest confirmation comes from Daytona Beach.

The algae is spread by winds, and can be deadly to sea creatures. For humans, red tide is not deadly, just irritating. Complaints of coughing, watery eyes and scratchy throats have cropped up all along the Central Florida coast.

The respiratory illness seems to be moving south from north Florida into Volusia County. . "Red tide is a microscopic algae and it produces a toxin which causes the respiratory irritation and watery eyes," Chris Schelble of the of the Volusia County Health Department said.

"I guess you just have to use your judgment. If your eyes are bothering you, you shouldn’t go in the water. I wouldn't," vacationer Alice Bolkas.

Health officials are warning people with respiratory problems to avoid the beach.

Red tide is rare on the East Coast, but not unheard of.

"Yeah, it's confirmed in Flagler County that they have moderate levels and with the recent weather, with the winds out of the northeast and the current coming from the north and south, it’s not surprising that we’re starting to see it show up in the north end of Brevard county," Schelble said.
"YOU GOT NUTTIN!"
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Man, this hurts me deeply!

Do you ever look at a really "nice" looking lawn and ponder the real cost of that yard to the environment in terms of run off and product development environmental cost. I don't know if red tide is feed by run off but it makes me think about these things.
S.S.Tupperware

Post by S.S.Tupperware »

That sucks but runoff is a big problem. After a very heavy rain at my lake it will bloom for a week or so, goes from crystal clear to green in a day.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/SSTupperware/link_sot_redfish.jpg[/img]
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Maybe one or two of those upwelling currents will knock it out before it can spread too far.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Don't tell a Florida Scientist about it. They'll just tell you "there's very little we know about red tide." I hope it doesn't expand and clobber your fishery over there.

Neil
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

LivelyBaits wrote:Don't tell a Florida Scientist about it. They'll just tell you "there's very little we know about red tide."
You are so wrong, Neil.

This is Samuel Frotney, Florida Scientist. He makes his "Red Tide" in the woods:

I asked him about red tide, and he said, "Weeeeee Dawgggyy!"

SO THERE! Don't go cutting down our scientists...friggin' Yankee know-it-alls. :roll:
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

BlueCrab wrote:SO THERE! Don't go cutting down our scientists...friggin' Yankee know-it-alls. :roll:
Keep up those yankee jokes and Mr Frotney might start loosing some of his best clients! lol
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

BlueCrab wrote:
This is Samuel Frotney, Florida Scientist.
We could have used his help over on this Coast. That red tide of his there doesn't look like it's distilled 5 times like Titos.

Beersfan informs me there's red tide up near Mexico Beach/Port St Joe as well.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Capt Bob J.

Post by Capt Bob J. »

It's here in Brevard now, though not to the degree that it's affecting the Ponce Inlet area. We've had reports of burning eyes and fish kills as far south as Satellite Beach.
Capt. Robert Jaspers
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

That sucks....I talked to a guy today on the beach over here and he was from Alaska and he told me they had a red tide bloom up there not long ago. :shock:
Guess it isn't warm water that causes it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Capt Bob J.

Post by Capt Bob J. »

Here's a link with info about Red Tide:

http://floridamarine.org/features/categ ... sp?id=1799
Capt. Robert Jaspers