Mosquito Lagoon 7 - 21

West Palm to Jacksonville
xfactor

Mosquito Lagoon 7 - 21

Post by xfactor »

Arrived early and the ranger let us in about 5:30 AM. Got everything ready to launch and waited to see if any of the EAST SIDE GANG showed, evidently not. Four other Yakers showed up. Two of them said it was their first time out on their new yaks. The other two are regulars that I know. Left and paddled out after the sun was already coming up. Hit my first stop and started chunking a Spook Jr. About the third cast, bam, fish on. It was a 22 inch trout. Several more strikes with no hookups. Moved to another spot and started catching more trout all just under slot. Saw some movement up on a shallow grass flat and eased over an made a cast with the Spook. GOD, what an explosion, fish on 25 inch Red. Lots more Reds there but I was having a little bleeding problem with my hand, my right thumb to be exact. Yes, I did know that trout will bite your digits if you put them in their mount. Each time I made a cast with the bait caster and retrieved my thumb would start bleeding profusly(sp). So I decided to do some exploring for the future. I did find a couple of areas that were holding more Reds.

And then it happened. The sun disapeared and the sky started turning dark and that bad sound could be heard in the distance. Started working my way back to the launch to be safe.

As I was paddling back, NASA must have had something going on because two planes took off and flew right over me. One was HUGE. When I got back to the launch there were some of the most unusual cloud formations I have ever seen. I'll leave the descriptions of those pictures to your own imagination.

I only fished for about 3 hours, but it was another super day on the Lagoon.

Jimmy

Sunrise from the mouth of Eddy Creek.

Water was clear where the fish were.

Trout were biting.

Evidence that trout were biting.

My first on a topwater.

A few extra pics.

What do the clouds look like to you folks?

A really big one.

From the road as I was leaving you could see the shuttle on the pad with the rain coming.