First red on flyrod! (Or, even a blind squirrel might get lu

West Palm to Jacksonville
McFly

First red on flyrod! (Or, even a blind squirrel might get lu

Post by McFly »

My wonderful wife bought me a flyrod for Christmas this past year. I wanted to take lessons before I used it, but due to work travel requirements and home improvement projects I just never got around to it. I grew tired of looking at the unused rod, so I watched a couple of You-Tube videos, and took it to the corner lake for a couple of casts last week. Sunday, I went to ML and brought the long rod with me along with the usual spinning rods.

Launched out of WSEG, and immediately got in to some rat and small-slot sized reds, using Gulp New Penny 3" shrimp. I fished for a while in some different spots without much more success, so I decided to stop at one of the spoil islands on the way back in for some practice casts on the fly rod.

Tied a tan & white Clouser on and proceeded to give it whirl. It was ugly, with large loops, dropping the fly in the water behind me, bouncing it across my back and even had it come within an inch or so of my face (now that was exciting!). Despite this, I managed to get the fly out in front of me about 30 to 40 feet. After about the 15th cast or so, as I was stripping the line back in I felt a tug, and the rod immediately bent -- fish on! After a spirited little fight I managed to reel in a 17" redfish!

The addiction has started. I want more! Now I just need to get those lessons from the guys at Orlando Outfitters, and find more time to fish. Work will suffer, home projects will be left undone, and the wife will wonder what possessed her to get me the long rod in the first place!
beyondhelp

Post by beyondhelp »

Congrats! I am one step behind you. I just bought a cheap flyrod and have experienced the whole fly in my faxe duck and cover thing. Also seem to have an issue with catching the weeds behind me (they were tall). One day I'll get lucky I guess. I need to pick up some appropriate flies, all I have are a couple of bass poppers.

I'm going to practice casting to a rat trap in the yard if I can get over this heat.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Congrats. Just remember the line goes whichever direction you stop the rod tips movement. Keep it (the movement) on a level plane and those loops should tighten up a bit.
Last edited by BearsFan on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
McFly

Post by McFly »

thanks for the tip - I will keep that in mind.

I wanted to post the picture of my skillful (okay, pure dumb lucky) achievement, but I could not get the link from photobucket to work. Maybe later.

Thanks again!
McFly

Post by McFly »

Figured I better provide the proof!

yohan1973

Re: First red on flyrod! (Or, even a blind squirrel might ge

Post by yohan1973 »

Flpr8hd wrote: fish on! After a spirited little fight I managed to reel in a 17" redfish
SWEET! Nice first catch!
Oh yeah, you can now kiss your other hobbies good-bye too! lol
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

BearsFan wrote:Congrats. Just remember if you see my truck at the ramp jump up on the hood and take a dump on the windsheild

Wouldn't beer bottles be enough?

Oh yeah Congrats on the first red. Next is tying your own
I'd love to be a weed in a daisy chain
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Go for it. That is covered by all East Coasters' auto insurance.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

BearsFan wrote:Go for it. That is covered by all East Coasters' auto insurance.
I don't think so...I think it only covers the solid fiber rich turds...not the soft runny "I drank way too much beer" turds typical eastcoasters produce!
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.