NMZ Question?

West Palm to Jacksonville
weagle

NMZ Question?

Post by weagle »

Hey guys I'm heading down to Banana River this weekend and was wondering if anybody knows if the east side of the NMZ is still closed?
stubb

Post by stubb »

No. East bank .. east of the the shuttle recovery boats' channel, has been closed since 9/11/01. That includes the famous huge redfish turf of the spoil islands running east/west.
From what I hear, that's the way it will be forever. Your only launch site is off the causeway or at the Banana River Drive site at the barge canal. A dump with plenty of shady looking folks hanging about.
Unless you get lucky and befriend some body who can get you onto NASA Casueway, you are restricted to the west bank. Period.
"Let every man be swift to hear, quick to think, and slow to speak.." El Stubbo
weagle

Post by weagle »

Thanks Stubb for the heads up.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Keep in mind that Stubb is the same guys that reports seeing strange 12 foot birds running around over there.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I was there last Friday....believe me, it's quite a haul...to and from the NMZ....not painful or impossible but be prepared for a good bit of paddling.....and "shady" is being generous to the characters there hiding in the trees!

I thought I had gotten caught up in a Sci-Fi movie when I came back in the afternoon! Looked like something out of the living dead movie. I would recommend that you don't leave anything at all, of value or not, in your cars/trucks. One man's trash is another's man's fortune.

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

stubb wrote: plenty of shady looking folks hanging about.
LagoonAddict wrote: "shady" is being generous to the characters there hiding in the trees!
So what, I have become a Merritt Island local, whats it to ya.

The fellows at The Back Country in Vero seem to think that the launch just before the gate the CCAFB near the port is still open and that you can fish the area. Not sure if this is fact or fiction.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

....somehow Peter, I can see you fitting right in with your new friends!!

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

LagoonAddict wrote:....somehow Peter, I can see you fitting right in with your new friends!!

Bob
Yup, right at home....
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
stubb

Post by stubb »

Those that think any of the area east of the shuttle recovery channel is open are dead wrong. Some might try it, make it, but the Men In Black will send you packing .. Even before 9/11, I pulled into the mangrove shallows on the east bank to take a leak. I stepped out of the yak, looked up and into the barrel of an assault rifle. Guy never said a word, just waved the thing in a "get lost" fashion. I left.
At one time, prior to 9/11, we launched just outside the Patrick AFB gate, after using our pickups to nudge big gators off the road. But, no more.
"Let every man be swift to hear, quick to think, and slow to speak.." El Stubbo