Future Trip to Mosquito

West Palm to Jacksonville
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Anyone still on for the 21 or 22 of July? I'm thinking of two possibilities of launch sites. In the south end there is a launch area just inside Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and to the north on the east side there is the WSEG launch area. WSEG would be about a mile paddle to the Pole and Troll zone, but there is some fantastic fishing there. Before you get to the P&T zone you cross Tiger Shoal and there have been massive schools of Redfish there for the last couple of weeks. Some of the schools are fish in excess of 20 pounds.

Anyone have any thoughts on other areas to launch?

Jimmy
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Anyone still on for the 21 or 22 of July? I'm thinking of two possibilities of launch sites. In the south end there is a launch area just inside Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and to the north on the east side there is the WSEG launch area. WSEG would be about a mile paddle to the Pole and Troll zone, but there is some fantastic fishing there. Before you get to the P&T zone you cross Tiger Shoal and there have been massive schools of Redfish there for the last couple of weeks. Some of the schools are fish in excess of 20 pounds.

Anyone have any thoughts on other areas to launch? Biolab or Haulover Canal Ramp?

Jimmy
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Sorry about that post problem. I went to edit and it posted twice.

Jimmy
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I am definitely in....don't matter to me where to launch cept. biolab hasn't been very productive in a while.

Let me know when you get in town and we'll get something to eat....I live a mile from Garden Street

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Anyone still up for the trip?

Jimmy
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

...absolutely!

Bob

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Let me know I should be in town. Bob I am pm'ing you my #. My computer is in the shop for a while.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

The wind for Saturday is suppose to be between 4 - 6 mph out of the SW-W all day. And almost ZERO rain predicted. If we launch at Eddy Creek the Ranger Station doesn't open until 6AM. Some of the rangers will be there earlier and let people in early. There are four major areas that usually hold fish. All are less than a half mile paddle. There is also the whale tale that is a little over 3/4 of a mile.

Launching from the west side of the lagoon is a little new to me. The area called WSEG is the better area according to reports on the fishing. Tiger Shoal is about 3/4 of a mile from the launch. Large flats area that usually holds lots of reds. A total distance of about 2 miles (give or take) is the Pole and Troll zone. Suppose to be good fishing there, but I have never made it that far. One negative about WSEG is it is secluded and no security. Don't know what the risk is.

Your thoughts and suggestions????

Jimmy
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I have not been keeping up with the local fishing reports as I've been tied up with business on the road and entertaining guests at home for the past 3 weeks......

....HOWEVER, that being said, I AM GOING FISHING SOMEWHERE THIS WEEKEND!!

Don't care where, except I'm not headed for the NMZ again...Eddy Creek is fine or if anyone has some good fishing reports. I am ready from 4 a.m. saturday morning until midnight SUNDAY!!! LOL !!!

I do know Whales Tail pretty intimately.....bring all your skills ....there are schools of huge reds out there and they didn't get huge by being stupid...however Whales Tail is either red hot with activity or it's as dead as the dead sea.

Bearsfan wants to join us too and since his computer is down I'll relay by phone where we'll all meet.

If it gets late and there's no posts my cell is (321) 446-4352.

Hope to hear from ya'll soon!

Bob

xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Eddy creek sounds like the place to start. I'll be there as soon as the gate opens. I'll be in a white Town & Country with a lime green Malibu X-Factor on top. BRING INSECT REPELLLLLLLLLENT.

Jimmy
NCSU 86
stubb

Post by stubb »

Note on Eddy Creek launch site:

I was there a week ago and it was about unusable. The combination of high water levels and dead grass means you have 20' or more of sludge to get through to get to hard bottom. The tip off, when I arrived, was there wasn't a vehicle at all in the parking lot.

I was towing my tiny motor skiff and backed down into the mess and almost didn't get out. Of course, a yakero could dump off and slog thru it all. But don't back into it unless you've a 4x4 vehicle.

An alternative, and much closer launch site, would be to access the Biolab Dike Road at what's called "The Sticks." A bunch of pilings that were, 60 years ago, Bull Camp.

Just be advised. el stubbo
"Let every man be swift to hear, quick to think, and slow to speak.." El Stubbo
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

I was at Eddy Creek last Sunday and they have cleaned up the ramp area. They removed the grass and took some of the sand out. And there were lots of boats and kayaks being launched. Talked to a couple of friends over the last couple of weeks and they said they have been fishing the sticks off Bio Lab and have had very little luck. Last Sunday I found lots of monster trout and lots of sleeping Reds out of Eddy Creek. And there were some pretty impressive Reds on the Whale Tail. Those thunder storms that rolled in put a quick halt to all fishing. They were some of the worst I've seen in a long time. Heard on the radio that there were wind gust up to sixty MPH. Hopefully those won't show up until late late in the day if at all.

Tight lines.

Jimmy
NCSU 86
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

Good luck & take lots of pics.
Dave
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

The Boomers showed up early and I left early. Pictures and report in a little while. Got a free airshow from NASA.

Jimmy