East Coast Fishing Advice

West Palm to Jacksonville
wisefish

East Coast Fishing Advice

Post by wisefish »

My girlfriend and I live in Tampa and have been paddle fishing the West Coast for the past year. . .since we bought our canoe. However, jobs are bringing us to Orlando, and we are determined to find a reliable and good place to fish on the East Coast.

Consensus seems to be that Mosquito Lagoon, or Titusville, is the best area to fish. However, the desciption they give on it under the "destinations" portion of this website doesn't really sell it that well. . .it talks a lot about getting stuck in mud and eaten alive by bugs, as well as suggesting it takes a backseat to Gulf Coast fishing.

It does mention places to catch fish, as well as about 10 different launch sites. . .and I'm willing to try them all.

However, I just kind of wanted to get everyone's take on the area, as well as a good "first" spot we could launch from on the first day we try our luck. . .a launching point for East Coast paddle fishing, I guess.

We're moving in the middle of April, so, hopefully, by the time we get out there Spring fishing will be in full gear.

I really appreciate any advice or suggestions you all might have. Thanks so much!

P.S. Without giving up any secret fishing spots, maybe there's another place to saltwater fish besides Mosquito Lagoon. . .? Within an hour/hour and a half from Orlando. . .Thanks again!
"I have many leather bound books."
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

One of my favorite spots.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hey Bearssmallffan,

Do you know why they don't send donkeys to college?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
tdsdad

lagoon

Post by tdsdad »

The lagoon system is one of the worlds finest red fishing spots-(I'm from Tampa)-
My favorite launch sites are-Haulover canal (there is a dirt road on the northwest side(Indian River lagoon)-riverbreeze in new smyrna and lot#5 at canaveral national seashore park also in new smyrna beach-look for grassy flats with 1.5 to 3 feet of water and target the bright sandy potholes-live shrimp or cut mullet if you use bait-plastic jerkbaits and shrimp, spoons, mirrodine, all work for me-

just spend a few times over there and you will find fish-

hope that helps a little

TD
take your kids fishing-
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Rik wrote:Do you know why they don't send donkeys to college?
FSU admits donkeys. I have been on this side long enough to start adopting some of their traits.

tdsdad said cut mullet, is it time for another hair cut Rik?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
wisefish

Post by wisefish »

Tdsdad,

Thanks so much for the insight!. . .definitely helps.
"I have many leather bound books."
tdsdad

another spot

Post by tdsdad »

you might also try the "three bridges" area near new smyrna beach airport-there are three bridges north of the airport on us1-one crosses spruce creek-that whole area is fun to fish-might find some snook in there, too!
take your kids fishing-
stubb

Post by stubb »

Wisefish: It may take you a while to "sort of" figure the area out. I've fished the Lagoon systems 80 days a year for nearly 9 years. I still get bamboozled (or "Gooned" as we call it). There are a couple ten things to remember:

1. Forget tides. About 3 miles south of Ponce Inlet and for the next 100 odd miles .. there ain't no tides. It's wind and moon driven. Water levels are low in Winter/High Summer; levels are high in Fall/Late Spring. North winds drive the water low; ESE winds drive the water up.
2. forget blind casting. Learn to sight fish. No target? No cast.
3. Get stealthy. Banging around in your 'noe will send big trout and refish scooting. Get a stake out pole and leave your anchor in the garage.
4. Get a pushpole.
5. Plan your launch around the wind directions. You can bet the ranch that most days by 11a.m. or certainly by noon, the wind will pipe up big time. Launch so that you'll be blown back home.
6. Don't discount grass flats with less than 12" of water. Reds will scoot around with their backs out of water. Learn to do the same.
7. Titusville is not a good destination for a canoe. Try the northern Lagoon first. It's a maze if islets and sloughs with some wind protection. You can luanch free from Oak Hill's tiny waterfront park. Riverbreeze in Edgewater is a zoo. Drive the dike roads and launch any where you can get thru the brush.
8. Get long rods for the long cast .. you need to lay the lure just right for the tailing reds.
9. The wind will kick your canoe's butt .. consider kayaks .. unless you're really good at handling a canoe.
10. Your best launch site would be just south of New Smyrna Beach, Hwy A1A, 2 miles into Canaveral National Seashore. A tiny place called Eldora (2nd parking lot in "Eldora"). Protected, close to nice places, decent fishing within a mile or two.
11. there are reds and trout in the Lagoon systems so big they'll make your hair stand on end and when you see them tailing, you'll be searching your pockets for a nitro pill.
12. All fish "tail." Reds, trout, mullet, catfish, black drum, and I've even seen a sheepshead showing tail. And manatees ain't your gentle buddies in mating season. They are a downright menace to a paddler caught unawares.

Finally: it took me a year to catch my first decent red. That might say something about me or, based on hindsight, it says a lot about how I learned to yakfish in Sarasota. Whole different world, my friend. When I go south to the Everglades I have to re-learn fishing. I want to sight fish like you do here in east central Florida .. So, get a chart, drive around one weekend checking out launch sites (not marinas, or power boat ramps), learn the lay of the Lagoons. It's the last outpost of old east central Florida and it may not be here forever.
"Let every man be swift to hear, quick to think, and slow to speak.." El Stubbo
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

stubb wrote:2. forget blind casting. Learn to sight fish. No target? No cast.
Great advice. I saw lots of tailing catfish today. They were uncooperative.

tdsdad

all you need to know

Post by tdsdad »

stubb-that's a great primer for anybody trying the goon-really good stuff-
take your kids fishing-
S.S.Tupperware

Post by S.S.Tupperware »

There are many good places around there... A new kayak /canoe fishing club is starting here that is intended to share info and such... might wanna check it out. When ya move over here... hit me up and I can point you to some spots that consistintly with in a 1/2 mile from the ramp.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/SSTupperware/link_sot_redfish.jpg[/img]
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

Haven't been on in a while...work and work-travel and damn winds been getting in the way....

I live on the lagoon in Titusville...happy to take you fishing anytime...don't know all the spots but I've got lucky now and again....

What Stub said...damn, well said I might add....you couldn't pay for that kind of class he just gave you....pay attention, that was fabulous...

Welcome to the goon...good luck

bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
Capt Bob J.

Post by Capt Bob J. »

Try the Banana River No-Motor-Zone, when it's not windy. :wink:

Tupperware, there's a new kayak & canoe club?
I'd be interested in learning more about that.
Capt. Robert Jaspers
charlie

Post by charlie »

I was born and raised in Titusville, and I can tell you it's a Great place to fish, tour the waters, site see etc. I've lived here in Tampa for about two years, And I take trips back to Titusville to fish every chance I get. Way better fishing over there!! Thats Real!
Bout all I've caught over here is catfish and sting rays. :oops: