High seat Native u-12

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
MikeM

High seat Native u-12

Post by MikeM »

I wanted 'high seating' for my U12' A couple of pieces of star board and the seat out of my Jackson Cruse and done. Lots of storage under seat.

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: High seat Native u-12

Post by krash »

Nice idea & work....
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Why didn't you use the Native seat?

How thick is the starboard?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

My 'old' back appreciates the higher frame back height on the Jackson seat. The Native seat is a few inchs lower because their frame curves away from your back at it's top. If anyone needs a Native seat with the plate on the bottom mine is brand new. :lol:
The starboard is 1/2". I get that from Marine Surplus just north of SRQ.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Where is the weight centered/supported by ?

Many of the native 12's I've seen have cracks in the gunwale area.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Looks like the weight is supported by the top of the tunnel as the stock seat/pan would be supported. Plus, it appears to be bolted through the gunwales, correct? I have a PVC platform but this looks interesting. I like the open path down the floor of each side.

I'm going to look at removing the Native seat from the pan and building one of these. Thanks Mike
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Ric has it right on the seat supports. There are three 1/4" stainless 'fender bolts' on each gunnel (2 through the arm rest plates and one just arrear of those plates) and the center storage box under the seat which prevents any sag in the base plate. I accually have found that storage area to be most usful for this and thats.
The open floor under the seat down each side makes rod storage very easy. I have attached small 'J' hooks at the rear inside and just below the front edge of the base plate to hold 1 fly rod on each side. The rods are basically tucked under the gunnels. Since those pics I have also added a ball mount rocket tube rod holder behind the seat on port and starboard.