Deciding between Kayaks Newbie

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
sgttom

Deciding between Kayaks Newbie

Post by sgttom »

Hi y'all,
Im new to this group and new to kayak fishing...
Im trying to decide between the Ascend from bass pro
and the Field and Stream Eagle Talon
they both seem pretty similar to me but like I said Im new to the sport....

I will be fishing canals, back water, inter-coastal waters in South East Florida maybe ocean when I get comfortable at this
Some Background if it matters Im 6'5 and 235 lbs.

Any and ALL help would be greatly appreciated.....
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Deciding between Kayaks Newbie

Post by krash »

6'5" 230+ , I'd first say look at something 14' at least..
Ascend/BPS if you search a few boards you'll find things that IMPO should not be on a new kayak like leaky hatch covers. I've seen no complaints about the Field and Stream and seen several good reports.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Re: Deciding between Kayaks Newbie

Post by mauso1 »

First off welcome to the forum. Choosing your first kayak can be a daunting task. IMO the best thing to do is to try before you buy.

That can be difficult when buying from a place like BPS or Dicks not that there is anything wrong with either but a couple of rentals from your local kayak shop and the advice they can give will far outweigh finding out the boat you bought just isn't right for you. My first boat was a well reviewed kayak I bought from a flea market booth and the seller knew nothing really about it just that he was making some dough . I bought on the price point but after a couple months I found out that for not much money more and a few test paddles of other forum members kayaks and a couple of rentals I could get one that suited me much better.

At 6'5 and over 200 I agree with krash a 14 ft boat will suit you better than just about any other shorter kayak with only a few exceptions. Besides that as every body knows longer is generally faster :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club