My New Boat - Native Slayer 14.5

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

My New Boat - Native Slayer 14.5

Post by Manning »

For about two years I have been paddling a Native Ultimate 14.5. I recently sold the Ultimate and bought a new Slayer 14.5.

Here is the brand new boat without the seat. It seems to be really nicely laid out. It has lots of storage space in the front and back. It also has a large cockpit that is flat and uncluttered.
Here is the boat with the seat in the upper position. The seat is held in place with some bungee cord that clips in the front and back of the seat. The seat is easy to move from the low to high position.
ImageImage

One interesting feature of the boat is the “tag along” wheel. Should make it easier to move the boat around on hard surfaces without using a cart or scratching up the bottom. When I do need a cart it is nice to know that the cart I already had seems to fit the new boat just fine.
ImageImage

I decided to add a couple flush mount rod holders right behind the seat area. Rather than have the shop do them I thought it might be fun to do it myself. Here is a series of pictures as I go through the install.

First, I marked the areas to be cut out using the rubber grommet that came with the rod holders as a template. If you are wondering why the holders are placed so far back it is because the rod holders slant and the bottom of them has to clear the back wall of the cockpit.
Next came the moment of truth. I decided to do the cutting with a Drumel tool using a router bit. I started in the center the first time as I was not sure how hard it was going to be to control the cut.

Here it is. My pristine new boat has been violated…twice.

Next drill locations were marked, holes drilled, silicone sealant applied and the rubber grommet and rod holder were pop riveted in place. Not too bad for my first shot at doing this.

Now that I had gotten over the shock of putting holes in a brand new boat I went ahead and put on my anchor trolley. Now that I was past the making a hole in the boat thing I also added two pad eyes on the left side to attach my anchor trolley. I also added a taco clip type paddle holder to the track on the right side of the cockpit.
ImageImage

Next I set about seeing how I was going to carry all the items that I usually had when I fished from my Ultimate. First is my crate. The crate I use is actually a $5 filing crate from Wal-Mart with two rod holders attached to the sides. In the Ultimate the crate sat crosswise with the rod holders on the left and right. I found the crate and rod holders we too wide for the Slayer so I have situated it lengthwise.
You may notice that the crate is setting on something. I have attached a piece of old foam boogie board to the bottom of the crate with zip ties. This serves three purposes without adding much weight. First it lifts the crate up which tends to keep things in the crate out of any standing water in the boat. It also makes the crate quieter and the increased height makes things easier to reach from the seat. Here is the crate loaded (and yes I carry too much junk). In the crate are:
• A plastic box I got from a craft store with bags of soft plastic lures
• Another of the same boxes with spools of leader material, jigs, hooks, sinkers, ect.
• A Plano box with hard baits
• First aid kit (red box). All items in first aid kit are in zip lock bags
• Braid scissors
• Can of spray sun block
• Bug spray
• The round red top plastic container has a very important function. Just never drink from it.
• Laws ruler.

Next I needed to find where I am going to attach the GPS that I usually carry. I tried a couple options and settled on sticking it to the front of the cockpit using the suction cup on the mount. My first fishing trip in the new boat it stayed in place all day and worked really well.

I got in the habit of carrying my fishing pliers by hooking the belt clip on the holster to my seat strap and then hooking the lanyard directly to the strap. This way the pliers are always handy and clumsy me can’t drop them in the drink. Works great in that place on the new boat too.

Now I had to figure out how I was going to carry my stakeout poll. I added a couple small bungee loops to the front and side to hold the poll. On my first fishing trip this seemed to work fine and kept the poll out of the way when not in use.
ImageImage

I carry a small soft side cooler for a drink bottle, apple and energy bar. It hangs nicely from the back of the seat.

The final item that needed to find a home for was my Plano dry box that I carry my camera, cell phone and car keys in. It fits very nicely under the seat when it is in the high position which is where I will usually carry it. It will fit under the seat in the low position, but is hard to get at.

Well, here is the complete package rigged and ready to go.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Vlap

Re: My New Boat - Native Slayer 14.5

Post by Vlap »

Nice setup!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Sweet. All it needs now is some Tarpon slime.
longtooth43

Post by longtooth43 »

Going to demo one today at Action water Sports in Auburndale.
I am 7o and need to see if I can stand up ok in it and use fly rod.
anice review. Thanks
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

I really like that layout. I might have to go demo one of them.
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.