New Native Mariner, rough maiden voyage

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
UltimateBobWPB

New Native Mariner, rough maiden voyage

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Well I sold my Ultimate 14.5 and took the next step and bought a Mariner 12.5, and by and large I'm very glad I did. Picked it up from the folks at Orchid Bike & Kayak in Vero Beach, Fl., and couldn't have found better folks to deal with, Malcom and his staff were great.
The first trip (in fact 1st & 2nd) were mared by a little problem. The bolt securing the peddle crank arm came loose, it's takes a 8mm hex wrench and geez I just didn't have one on board, (I do now), I was a half mile from the ramp, so back I went, paddling powered. Couldn't beg or borrow one at the ramp so load up on the trailer and head for a parts store. NPPA didn't have on, found it at West Marine, a drip of loc tight and the repair seemed complete.
Met up with a buddy who had a Hobie Mirage Outback and took another shot at getting out and really wanted to show off the Native product. Well within a short time the crank arm again came loose, luckly I know had the tool so I tightend it up and made it a short trip.
Otherwise I loved the kayak, really fun, but a hell of a workout, gotta break out the bike and start getting the legs into better shape. Looking forward to getting out again in the near future and getting a few miles under my belt.
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Re: New Native Mariner, rough maiden voyage

Post by Deek »

Good luck Bob on the new Mariner
Jackson, Big Rig
UltimateBobWPB

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Thanks Deek. FYI we got into the DOA paddle in by the skin of our teeth!! Look forward to fishing it in my new kayak.
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Deek »

UltimateBobWPB wrote:Thanks Deek. FYI we got into the DOA paddle in by the skin of our teeth!! Look forward to fishing it in my new kayak.
See you there!
Jackson, Big Rig
RobertBfishin

Post by RobertBfishin »

Hi Bob,

Read your article on the maiden voyage of your Mariner. Recently purchased the 10' Slayer Propel and I had the exact same issue with my mechanism. 15 minutes out my left pedal started wobbling. Of course I didn't have a hex wrench with me. Had to paddle back to launch area, load on car top, go home and get the tool. After unloading, tightening the screw and peddling back out the screw came loose 2 more times. Since then I have never had the problem again.

I'm sure by now your legs have gotten in fairly decent shape. I'm 67 and I go out twice/wk so I know my are definitely getting stronger. After my not so pleasant maiden voyage I have come to love my propel yak. Don't know if you troll while fishing but I seem to catch many more fish including snook, reds, specks, jacks, gafftops and even a shark...all on the troll. Enjoy your Mariner!

Robert