Considering Switching to a Kayak

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
PianoAl

Considering Switching to a Kayak

Post by PianoAl »

I've had a nice kevlar Seda scout canoe for many years:

that I've used primarily for fishing. IIRC, it weighs about 55 pounds.

I realize that I've often not gone out because of the bother of loading it onto the truck etc. So I am considering a lighter option: either a small one-man canoe or a kayak. The question is, which to get.

My top priority is to have something light. I want to be able to easily "throw it" in the back of my Toyota Tacoma.

The two problems I have with a canoe are (1) since I use a large kayak paddle, water drips into the canoe with each stroke (even with the "cups" that catch the drips. (2) sometimes the wind picks up and the high profile of my canoe makes paddling up wind difficult.

I'm just starting to consider my options, and I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks in advance,

Al
Rik

Re: Considering Switching to a Kayak

Post by Rik »

I'm going to assume you want a sit on top (SOT) kayak for fishing. The number of options you have for a kayak less than 55 pounds are limited. Hurricane Kayaks (if you can find them) makes a few in the 40 pound range. Swift also makes a couple that are very light though they really are a sit inside kayak. Do a search for kayaks made from Trylon.

Most of the kayaks folks are using weigh in the upper 50's to mid 70 pound range.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

I recently purchased a solo canoe, 11' 9",43 lbs. My other 16' weighs 86 lbs and is no fun with loading. Your right, my solo blows me around in the wind and does drip in on you when using a double blade. I use outriggers w/trolling motor and I would think twice about paddling or owning it if that was my main source of power. With solo canoes, it appears the mfg lowers the seat to help with stability. My hind end was like 3" off the floor with the gunnels sitting high above and in your way, thus the drip. I found a review that suggested moving the seat forward to where the front of the seat was at midship and then raise it. The idea is, the move to the center increases stability countering the decrease caused by raising the seat. I did that and I noticed very little change in performance. It increased the difficulty of using a single paddle but know outward effects with a double. With the outriggers, I have my hind end about 4" above the gunnels and its a nice perch. I love my set up and fits my needs but I would think twice, the one constant we have is wind.
pbr

Post by pbr »

My 14 Hornbeck Kevlar/carbon weighs 25lbs. With the Stinger anchoring bracket and Native Watercraft seat probably 30lbs. No problem cartopping, not something you want to drag on the beach so I have small trolley wheels. Hornbeck offers different freeboard options now, so if wind is a factor you can get one with lower hull sides. Mine has the highest freeboard, but I think it is manageable in the wind, I imagine drier in waves than lower freeboard. Go to Hornbeck boats on facebook for my review.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Also with the canoe with its higher freeboard, longer double paddles are required, I use a 250cm, I put the Native watercraft seat on top of the standard 3" foam Hornbeck seat, which made paddling easier without taking too much from stability.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I switched the opposite way recently for the oppisite reason due to health issues. Been paddling a SOT 55# kayak for many years, after heart surgery I can no longer lift heavy stuff. There really are no kayak options that make much difference in the weight factor in the 14+ foot range. The lightest you'll find is mid 40's , but more typically todays fishing SOT's weigh in the upper 60's to over 100#'s.

I switched to a solo canoe, Wenonah Vagabond Gelcoat/Kevlar that weighs 38#, you can get it in Skincoat/Kevlar weighing only 30 pounds. Its manageable to load and unload as well as carry on one shoulder to/from the water. I find I have considerbly more room to stretch my legs and is much more comfortable. I switched also to a single blade bent shaft canoe paddle, but do as you say still get drips in the canoe... its not a big deal I keep a bilge sponge on the floor and just sweep up any water that lingers.
I can stand and stretch, its a bit sketchy to cast and set a hook but can be doen.. I don;t carry any more stuff but I could if I wanted, been tempted to start carrying an ice chest.
It paddles just about as easy as the kayak did, maybe better for distance. The higher freeboard does get blown around a bit more, but I find the canoe drifts in a current or breeze/wind batter than the kayak did.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Yamon

Post by Yamon »

If you want to control the water coming off the paddle, spray it with a Super Hydrophobic paint. You can get it at Home Depot for around $19. It really works, all water will drain off the paddle.

Dont apply to the bottom, will come of easily....it is faster however...
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Al.....1st off let me give the disclaimer I am a Mohawk Canoe Rep for the state of Fl
That being said the Mohawk Solo 14 is my go to boat......the seat is just below the gunnels and is adjustable.......As for the wind is isn't any more difficult than the Native Ultimate maybe even a little less of a wind vane......Weight is 44lbs.......If you would like I can let you test drive a solo 14 anytime you would like....I am 67 yrs old and toss it on the roof of my Grand Cherokee without any problem.....Priced at under $950(big savings right now)....... Here are the Specs:
SOLO 14
Length: 14′, Beam at gunwale: 29″, Beam at 4″ waterline: 30.25″
Depth: at bow 18″, at center 12.5″ , at stern 18″
Approx. weight: 44 lbs. (Royalex)
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

The old guy gets it in yellow. Just can't handle the speed of the other colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik wrote:The old guy gets it in yellow. Just can't handle the speed of the other colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Funny......
That's so I can see the boat when I am wading.......Mello Yello.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
bossip2

Post by bossip2 »

Hey Joe S,
you say you are the Florida rep for Mohawk canoes?. do you ever run into used ultra-light Kevlar solo canoes? I am in the market for one right now.
Bob
bossip2
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

bossip2 wrote:Hey Joe S,
you say you are the Florida rep for Mohawk canoes?. do you ever run into used ultra-light Kevlar solo canoes? I am in the market for one right now.
Bob
bossip2
Bob I have really never come across a used Kevlar Canoe....As I have stated before our 14' Solo Royalex only weights 42#