New To Kayaks...Your Insight Please

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Basstar

New To Kayaks...Your Insight Please

Post by Basstar »

I am looking to buy my first kayak and there are so many options from which to choose.

I know that no one can tell me exactly which kayak to buy but am looking for the pros and cons of some different styles, brands, etc.

This will be used almost exclusively for fishing and in warm water and settings, mostly on lakes, bays, and slowly moving streams. Comfort and stability are extremely important but do not want a sled that isn't maneuverable. won't track and paddle easily, etc. At this point, I am thinking that the SOT will be a better choice than the sit in style but may be wrong.

I have looked online at the Ascend models from Bass Pro and also at the kayaks that Dicks sells for price bang for the buck but have also looked at more expensive models as well.

What I am really wanting as far as opinions are some of the "You really want"... as well as the "You really do not want" features.

Thanks so much!
TexasDan

Re: New To Kayaks...Your Insight Please

Post by TexasDan »

You will hear this a lot (Test Before You Buy). Testing is the best thing you can do. Don't just do the kiddy pool test. A lot of kayaks feel great in your kiddy pool 15-20 minute test. To really get a good feel and fit for what you are looking for you need to test one out for the day. Rent or use one for a good 3 to 4 hour fishing trip. Your Back, Legs and Ass will tell you if it's the right kayak for you. Some shops rent out kayaks for the day and if you tell them you are looking to buy they will put your rental towards your new kayak. Find the right kayak that fits YOU.

Check out....

Kayak & Canoe Reviews and Rigged Boats
http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=40

Good luck and see ya out there.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yes, the SOT is the best bet for fishing.

Also, so that we can narrow things down a bit for you, tell us your size.

If you are new to kayaking, realize that all kayaks will feel tippy at first. Think along the lines of a kid riding a bicycle the first time. After a couple outings that tippy feeling will go away.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

I'm relatively new to kayaking also. I didn't do the research or test out any models and let me tell you, I regret it wholeheartedly. I went to Dick's and picked up a Perception Sports Caster 12.5, for a basic kayak it's okay but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone more than 225 lbs, it sits really low in the water and the scuppers are useless. I have found ways to make it work for me for now, but I wish I would have tested more models out.

Just my 2-cents
Kurt
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

Well there ya have it. Go to a test day(kayak day) Bill Jackson's has them along with Economy Tackle. I have the same kayak as "kmeng" and absolutly love it, I've had it over two years. I started out in it weighing in at just shy of 260lbs. Did take some getting used to the tippyness(is that a word?) of being on a SOT. Now I'm at 198lbs and still find the kayak suits my needs. Sure it's faster 'cause it is haulin' less ass, but at the same time it is haulin' more ass because I am in better shape along with stronger and healthier. Above all make sure that the boat fits your needs and that is what you need to focus on.

You can run the gamut of price, weight, type, rigging....
Basstar

Post by Basstar »

Ump608 wrote:Well there ya have it. Go to a test day(kayak day) Bill Jackson's has them along with Economy Tackle. I have the same kayak as "kmeng" and absolutly love it, I've had it over two years. I started out in it weighing in at just shy of 260lbs. Did take some getting used to the tippyness(is that a word?) of being on a SOT. Now I'm at 198lbs and still find the kayak suits my needs. Sure it's faster 'cause it is haulin' less ass, but at the same time it is haulin' more ass because I am in better shape along with stronger and healthier. Above all make sure that the boat fits your needs and that is what you need to focus on.

You can run the gamut of price, weight, type, rigging....
First congrats to you for taking off the 60+!

I need to knock of about 40 myself.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I will find a way to try a couple out if at all possible but fishing kayaks aren't so popular where I live.

Have a wonderful 2013 everyone!
Rik

Post by Rik »

Basstar wrote:......where I live.
Where's that?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Basstar

Post by Basstar »

Rik wrote:
Basstar wrote:......where I live.
Where's that?
KY
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

I don't know if you selected a kayak yet, and I know SOTs are said to be better for fishing, but I will say I have used SOTs and Sit Ins. I found for my taste the Ascend FS12 was the best. It is extremely comfortable, and I have plenty of room even though I'm a pretty hefty dude. I have no problem fishing out of it, and if I ever feel the need to sit up a bit higher I am sure I can rig the seat to be a bit higher. It's well balanced, though I would not try standing up again in it, but I never feel concerned about tipping it over. The first test run was extremely windy (a good test to see how what it can really do), and the waves were about 1'-2', it handled well and plowed through the waves and stayed pretty dry the entire day.

I will say as a side note I bought this for the comfort, and to do longer trips for camping. I feel I got the best for my needs/wants. But as everyone says you should test before you buy. It really all comes down to how you feel in it since it's your ass sitting in it all day long lol. As far as fishing from it, I found that to be rather easy to do. Hope this helped.