new OK trident 13?

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Keith B

new OK trident 13?

Post by Keith B »

Have any of you guys seen this new model Trident 13? I am possibly going to upgrade from the Caper to the Trident 13. I heard the trident is newer/drier/and just a little better than the Prowler.
Thanks, I trust your opinions.
Keith
dunfly

Re: new OK trident 13?

Post by dunfly »

Either the Prowler 13 or the Trident 13 would be an upgrade from your Caper. The specs are similar on the two boats with the Prowler being a few pounds lighter and several $100 cheaper. Both are stable and track well. I'm not sure if the Trident is actually drier, but I doubt it. The positives for the Trident are better storage and flat cockpit floor. If you stand in the kayak the flat floor is a major positive compared to the footwell design in the Prowler. I have Prowler 15's and I've looked at the Trident 15's, but couldn't find any reason to upgrade.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Strokin

Post by Strokin »

I have the model from the year prior and love it and I am not in any way a small person. There is plenty of room and it is very stable. The only reason I did not get this years model was because the only real change was to the rod pod and I did not want the rod pod. Mine is the trident 13 model with a couple of scotty holders in the rear, anchor trolly, and lanyard. Very simple, but it gets the job done Plus I like having a flat work surface where the pod woud be, although it is nice that the new pod allows quick install of a rod holder. Now I just need to build a stand to make it easier to work on.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a brand new trident 13 in the sunrise color. I also picked up a surf to summit gts expedition seat to go with it. I cannot wait to get it wet.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have been reading as much as I can find on the net about this new boat, the opinions and the rigging people are doing. I added the anchor trolley tonight and tried the rod pod with my 7 ft tfo spinning rod and it worked like a champ. I also repositioned the roof system and played around with loading it and unloading it. It is still light enough for me to load unload by myself. This is a main reason for staying with OK. A buddy used a ride135 on our most recent trip and it took us both to load it on a shorter car.
I cannot wait to get on the water this weekend and see how it paddles and turns.
I do not like the flush mount holes behind the seat. I would have preferred to add my own. I have to strap down the rod holder so it does not slide out which makes me little uneasy. I had a buddy lose a very nice rig to a similar set up in a riverhawk, it just managed to slide out somewhere along the river.
Right now I think I like the cannon holder in front of me in the rod pod as I used to lay the rod down in the caper for various reasons. Not sure when I will get brave enough to stand up. I plan to place Velcro inside to help secure rods in transit and even to hold a small dry box in place.
More later.
Strokin

Post by Strokin »

Sounds like you got a great set up. I put in scotty holders in the rear positions since the flush mounts did not seem to serve any purpose that I would use them for (except maybe snagging branches in the mangroves.) They lock in place and seem secure enough. I am hoping to avoid testing their ability to hold onto my rod in the case of a rollover. I have been looking for a better seat and looked up the one you mentioned on your setup and it has to be far more comfortable than the one I have. (came with the Kayak).
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I went out yesterday, and today, and tested the new boat. I think the more I am in it the more I am going to love it. It is different than the caper for sure, and as I become more familiar with it I will never look back. It is a nice ride and turns pretty well. I would say it does not take a lot to keep a good pace once you get the first couple of digs out of the way and "get on plane".
I have the gimble mount with a scotty in the back, lashed to the pad eye with some shock cord to help it from getting pulled out. I really like the versatility of the rod pod and the ability to move the cannon rod holder around to suit my needs as I am on the water. Yesterday I stored a small Bass Pro 350 bag inside the rod pod, but realized it was too much of a hassle to move the rod and open the pod each time I wanted a new bait, so I put a big clip on one of the straps and clipped it to the cord in the tank well area. It really is a great fit with that bag.
The paddling is different than the other, nd again maybe I am just not used to this one yet, but my stroke must be off a little. I guess I pull harder on one side than the other because I seem to drift a little, so about every third stroke I have to double up on one side.
The S2S gts expedition seat is a must have!! Holy Sh** it is comfy!
Now I just have to test it in the salt next month!!