Commander 140 hot off the truck 8-31-2010

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
jsuber

Commander 140 hot off the truck 8-31-2010

Post by jsuber »

Hello everyone. My name is Jeff Suber and I am a team mate of Todd L and Jason Stock on the Wilderness Systems Kayak Fishing Team. I just picked up this new Commander 140 and wanted to share the pics with everyone that might be interested. Enjoy and let me know if you have any question and if you need a picture of anything on the boat you can't see from here.

Fish the Forgotten Coast.
americanrobster

Re: Commander 140 hot off the truck 8-31-2010

Post by americanrobster »

Nice kayak. I know alot of people who have been waiting to see the 14' model. Thanks for sharing.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
jslager

Post by jslager »

Looks great. Mine should be here early next week. Apparently the sienna commanders were not ready when my vendor picked them up on the 31st. Should be here in time for the PFTS1!
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I saw a sienna Commander 140 today at Canoe country, really nice color.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Ah, my new kayak is available!

What color is sienna?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Ain't nuttin if it ain't baby turd yeller! :wink: Very nice fellas. Best of luck with your new toys!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Just called CC. If that sienna one is still there in the morning, it's coming home with me. :D
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

That looks like it would make a fine duck boat.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I agree. I think it will be a fantastic Duck Boat
jslager

Post by jslager »

Jeff, would you mind snapping a picture of directly behind the kayak with the rudder up and down? thanks in advance.
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Nice looking hybrid, somewhere between a canoe and kayak. looks a lot like the Native.. Whats the floor look like where youare standing ?

In days of past we had cross breed of canoes with motors added in various ways, then along came something one day called the "gheenoe", I'm calling these new breeds the "yakanoe", filing for a patent on the name now.

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Just bought the camo one. Schweet. On my way to see if it floats. :cheers:
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I didn't see any scupper holes. :kayakroll:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Took the new boat out yesterday for the maiden voyage. As far as I can tell, it will be everything I expected. Been paddling a T160 for the past 8 years, and have really loved it. Used to be I could sit in it for 8 hours with no problem. However, since they stopped making my favorite seat (read: I'm turning into an old fart), I can't go more than a couple hours without my arse hurting. This boat takes care of that. The way it works is: a) you sit in the paddling seat and haul ass to the fishing hole, then once you get there, b) you either move up to the "captain's seat" or just stand up and paddle around. So, there are a variety of paddling/fishing positions with this boat.

The boat paddled easily, and tracked well, almost like the 160. And I was surprised at how QUIET it was, too. Doesn't look that way, but it is. I liked paddling and fishing from the raised captain's seat, nice vantage point and no seat backs, rod holders or anything else in the way. And standing up was a breeze, which is saying a lot for me. I ain't the most gracious person around.

Only thing I missed was a place to drop a stakeout pole quickly (you're right, Gil. No scuppers.) I suppose I could stick it in the anchor trolley ring, but I've never had much luck with that, especially in the wind. Not too much of a problem though, I always used my anchor more than the stakeout pole anyway. It wasn't too windy yesterday, but even the slightest breeze seemed to move the boat more than the lower 160. That was also expected, and I'm keeping the 160 for long paddles on windy days. I almost flipped for the rudder, but decided to wait on that, and now I'm glad. I mostly use a rudder for keeping track when drifting along mangrove shorelines. But with this boat, I'll be sitting up on the raised seat or standing most of the time while fishing. I wouldn't be able to reach the rudder peddles from there anyway. The jury is still out on this one; I'll spend some more time fishing in it before deciding.

There's loads of extra room in this thing. My tackle is pretty minimal, and you can see in the pics how it's dwarfed by this boat. I guess I'll have to find more crap to bring along with me. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the new purchase. Now I just need to get out there fishing in it!

Here's a few pics of the boat:

americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Nice Kayak Mark.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'