Hornbeck canoe

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
pbr

Hornbeck canoe

Post by pbr »

When I decided to get into canoe/kayak fishing I had some priorities, 1. since I would be alone it had to be easy to cartop, and 2. it had to fit in the garage of my townhouse. After some research I decided canoes would be the lightest and most versatile, more storage area, dryer, good for camping and touring.

I found out that there were several small builders making them out of high tech materials of kevlar and carbon fiber, designed to sit in the bottom and double paddled like a kayak. These builders were from up state NY where light weight canoes are needed since you have to portage or carry your canoe alot because there are not many roads to access many of the lakes and rivers. I decided on Hornbeck canoes based on overall design and value - http://www.hornbeckboats.com

They are a family owned business that have been building canoes for 30 yrs. The offer them from 9 ft. to 16ft. I decided on the 14 ft which can be set up for solo or tandem use. They offer them in Kevlar, carbon fiber and a combo of both.

I decided on the Kevlar/carbon combo for light weight and durability. While it is initially a little tippy its width above the waterline gives it very good ultimate stability. It tracks very well and is quite fast. I can one hand it off the car top, load all my gear in and pick it up and walk it to the water

My canoe weighs about 25 lbs.

It needed some rigging for fishing, I mounted some rod holders on the aft thwart

The short rod in the picture is an Emmrod that is perfect for trolling keeps the line low so dont have to have so much line out.
Also added some coil teathers to keep the rods with the canoe in the event of capsize

Even though it comes with a very comfortable foam seat with back rest, to have even more comfort I added a Crazy Creek canoe seat.

The paddle I selected was a Werner Kaliste, this paddle is a two piece with adjustable blade angle and only weighs 21oz, I put an adhesive measurement tape on it so with the paddle teather I can toss it in the water bring the fish along side for a quick measurement and quick release.

To avoid bull sharks I decided not to keep kept fish on a stringer so after some web search found the Sea Angler bag, the one I chose is actually made for bait, but the pockets are perfect for refreezable packs and the bag fits in the canoe well.

For anchoring I installed cleats on both sides and an anchor bridle attached to fore and aft thwarts so I can use the anchor bridle on either side of the canoe. I made an anchor bag I hang from the cleat that holds the 1.5 lb grapnel anchor, polypropelene rode, and drift sock

It takes time to figure out what works best, I thought stabilizers might be a cool idea, made some out of carbon tube and tried them, even though it allowed me to stand more securely I came to the realization that I don't need to stand that much, they made noise when in the water, longer set up time, windage, something to get fish line caught on etc. so have decided I don't need them, (they're for sale)

I am very happy with the decision to go with this type of boat, the light weight makes all the difference and to me is worth the cost. Here is a snap shot of a snook hooked while trolling with the Emmrod.

The more you fish the more ideas to make it easier and cleaner. Painted the hull flag blue Awlgrip, to make it easier to repair scratches. Catalyst 20 reels matched with 6.6' St. Croix med light fast action rods seems to be a really light balanced combo

Wanted to start playing with video pics with Pentax opti 30 so bolted a Ram mount to a quicki clamp, and added a leash, easy to adjust or rotate, quicki clamp makes it easy to move or remove camera.

Added another thwart so I could hang a thwart bag that holds all tackle and other odds and end. Also good place to secure light weight paddle leash, and it actually stiffens up the canoe. Fish bag is still working great, not only for fish but drinks and food too.

Needed a way to secure the paddle when fishing so installed a velcro collar to the rail

Made an equipment bag to hold fish glove, dehooker, fillet knife, lip grabber, pliers. Also added a measuring tape to the gunnel for quick measurements

Also made a bag to hold anchor, and sea anchor, replaced line with a dog leash, and went to 3lb anchor in lieu of stake out pole, stow anchor in the ready position behind seat, just reach behind and toss it in the water for a quick stop. Dog leash is right next to seat for easy adjustment of leash and anchor trolley. Visable in photo is new air canoe seat, with air lumbar support cushion can now go all day without numb butt.

Things are working really well now, but will still look for more refinements

[/img]
Last edited by pbr on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thetroutsniffer

Re: Hornbeck canoe

Post by Thetroutsniffer »

Mighty sweet ride ya got there bud
Razz Ma Tazz

Post by Razz Ma Tazz »

Well thought out and very functional. Looks like a good choice..
Fishin' is Good...
PaddleDav

Post by PaddleDav »

Very, Very Jealous...for sale? I am looking for a used 14 ft Hornbeck...do you know anyone?
Love the set-up. I can only imagine a day catching fish and relaxing in that.
pbr

Post by pbr »

I have looked around but still like the light weight and stealthyness of the design. Cant stand up in it but it is very seaworthy and very dry, and pretty quick. Have added a stinger anchoring system, Native seat, and different rod holders since the earlier pics.

Rik

Post by Rik »

pbr wrote: and different rod holders since the earlier pics.
The Bee Ready's?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Post by mjrodney »

A well thought out rig.

A lot to be learned here.

Thx.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Rik wrote:
pbr wrote: and different rod holders since the earlier pics.
The Bee Ready's?
Yep
pbr

Post by pbr »

Forgot to mention I also have a rowing setup for it.

americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Looks like a very nice stable ride.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
no time

Post by no time »

pbr wrote:I have looked around but still like the light weight and stealthyness of the design. Cant stand up in it but it is very seaworthy and very dry, and pretty quick. Have added a stinger anchoring system, Native seat, and different rod holders since the earlier pics.

That is one sweet setup. How would a bigger person work with this setup?
What can I do to help?
Sakana

Post by Sakana »

Wow, pbr, that is nice! I just got a 14' Mad River Royalex that looks similar to yours, but it is stock. I had no idea I needed so many things! :lol: Oh well, thanks for all the great ideas!
>((((((º> Mmmm, fish
Coffee and water mix quite well...
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Nice looking canoe.... sort of what I'm looking for but I want the ability to stand, pole, and sight cast.

Looks kinda like Vivians canoe but hers has a seat, I think, also kneeling pads for paddling.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
FX4

Post by FX4 »

Very nice. I'm a big fan of Kevlar.
poppawheelie
Location: beutiful Snuffner (seffner for you city boys) Florida

Post by poppawheelie »

i wish mine was that nice. love the setup!!! :wheelchair:
floating doc

Post by floating doc »

Very nice! I'm a new member, and I'm reviewing other posts to get ideas on rigging my own canoe. This is quite well done.