RIGGED KAYAKS/CANOES - SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT!

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

RIGGED KAYAKS/CANOES - SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT!

Post by Rik »

This thread is for pics and descriptions of your rigged kayaks and canoes.

Take some good pictures and post them. Give a description of what you've done. If yours has an unusual rigging, let's us know why you do it the way you did it.

Some folks like to have enough rod holders to carry a dozen rods. Others, prefer to keep it simple and have 2 rodholders. Some folks are gadget fanatics with fancy mounts for anything you can think of while others have never drilled a hole in your boat.

There's no right or wrong way, just the way you've made your boat fit your needs.

Let us see what you've done.

NOTE: IF YOUR POST OF YOUR RIGGED BOAT WAS DELETED FROM THIS THREAD, IT WAS GIVEN ITS OWN THREAD IN THE RIGGING SECTION

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=23
Last edited by Rik on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

xfactor wrote:After seeing those pics, I'm embarrassed to post mine.

Jimmy
Jim, the object of this thread is to share different ways of rigging kayaks and canoes. Don't worry about the quality of your photos. I'm a better photographer than a fisherman and you are probably a better fisherman than a photographer. The last time I checked, this is a paddle fishing forum. :wink:

Let's see your ideas for rigging your ride. :)
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
mikebair

Re: RIGGED KAYAKS/CANOES - SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT!

Post by mikebair »

how about a 10 mph kayak?
2005 Heritage Featherlite Angler

3.0 hp Gamefisher Tanaka outboard with throttle control, foot pedal steering and kill switch all up front in the cockpit. It has a rope pull starter extention to get it running and it starts easily with one pull most times. Shut the motor off and pull it up out of the water with the pull starter cord when you get back to the boat ramp. Goes almost 10 mph.

This boat also is quick rigged with a Minn Kota 30# thrust 12v electric motor with the wiring harness with the speed selector switch with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds at the front of the seat and steering with foot pedals for hands free fishing. It has a pulley/rope extention located up front to lift the motor up and down at boat ramps. This is a great option in electric only lakes. Motor powered by Optima blue top marine battery. Battery last 10+ miles with conservative use (slow trolling). Goes 5mph.

Boat also has center bracket behind the seat to put 2 electric outboards (one on the left and right) for optimal wind or thrusting control. You can spin the boat in a circle with one motor in forward and one in reverse without having to drive around. This bracket also has an umbrella holder (or fishing rod) near the center so you can fish in the rain or just stay out of the sun. Boat has 2 rear flush mount rod holders for transporting rods or trolling. This set up goes 6 mph.

Fish finder and GPS mount up front low and out of the way. Fish finder transducer is mounted on the electric motor. All the tools for Burke Lake Walleye trolling or river rockfish trolling in the fall.

Boat has been registered since new in 2006 and has been used every year. It has gotten ALOT of use esspecially since it got me into so many fish and distant spots that I could never reach with a paddle alone. It has scratches from boat ramps and river rocks from use. Leave the motors at home and paddle it if you want as well. Little boat rigged for big fishing.

This is certainly one of the most unique small fishing boats you could ever have. Will trade plus $1000 for Hobie Pro Angler kayak or other interesting small boat trades.

I will be fishing in Alaska for 2 weeks but would love to sell it when I get back. I will take better pictures when I return.

Please reference KAYAK in any emails so I dont delete them. Thanks.
cocoadave

Post by cocoadave »

Hello all, I'm another "new guy"... here's my new Cobra Marauder
flaco

Post by flaco »

My homebuilt / conversion of a sailfish sailboat. Best of both worlds. I sit to paddle with a kayak paddle, and stand and paddle with the pushpole. Drilled through the mast trunk and use the spike on the pole to stake out. Homemade cart too.. It's really stable and a great fishing platform.

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Very nice. Bet it's heavy as hell but it's pretty fancy.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Gozz

Post by Gozz »

This is my kayak a wavedancer kingfisher from Australia.
This a cart I made.
This is a storage cart.
Fishfinder / GPS and rod holders all in one.
My roof rack kayak transporter.
blackwater88

Post by blackwater88 »

Can you explain how you get your kayak on your vehicle? I have a Pontiac Vibe and it's not as tall as your but you have a different rig and I'm always needing advice on easier ways to get it on top of my vehicle.
No matter how many times I go, it's just as amazing as the first time.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I have an SUV and here is the method I have use for several years now. First you need to put something on the to of the tailgate to protect it. I actually have an old foam boogie board with some carpet on it. I used to just use the carpet, but found I needed more padding to protect the car. I then lift the bow of the kayak up and place it on the carpet while the stern of the boat is still on the ground. Then while holding the kayak in place so that is does not slide off the car I walk back to the stern and lift it up. I then push it forward onto the roof rack. This way you are effectively only lifting one half of the kayak at any given time. Taking the kayak off the rack I use the reverse process. I put the carpet on the tailgate (helps if the carpet has rubber backing so it will not slide off) then I pull the kayak back until I can lower the stern onto the ground with the bow resting on the carpet on the tailgate. I then get hold if the kayak in about the middle and move it left or right to lift the bow off the carpet and lower it to the ground.

One more very important tip is that you want to rise your vehicle off very well after each time you transport your kayak back from a fishing trip. The saltwater dripping off your kayak onto your car can over time create big rust problems. Believe me I know from experience. Good luck.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I have a friend with a RAV4 and showed me his secret, pretty much same loading method.. but instead of plain carpet he uses a bathmat.. its rubberized on one side and carpet on the other.. the rubberized side does not slip when sitting on the rooftop when sliding the kayak on/off. I used one for quite some time loading a kayak on my old Honda Accord, worked great.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

krash wrote:I have a friend with a RAV4 and showed me his secret, pretty much same loading method.. but instead of plain carpet he uses a bathmat.. its rubberized on one side and carpet on the other.. the rubberized side does not slip when sitting on the rooftop when sliding the kayak on/off. I used one for quite some time loading a kayak on my old Honda Accord, worked great.
Absolutely right. The carpet I use is actually a bath mat.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
blackwater88

Post by blackwater88 »

I'm pretty good about remembering to rinse everything off post trip. I think my biggest problem is lowering the kayak off the car at the middle since it weights 2/3 of my own weight and is taller than me haha. I'll be testing out those methods soon! Thanks guys!
No matter how many times I go, it's just as amazing as the first time.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

One thing you can do too is carry a 1 gallon jug of fresh water to give the kayak a quick rinse and then an old towel to dry it off and reduce the amount of salt water dripping on your vehicle, a gallon is plenty.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I carry a bilge sponge in the canoe, when I get back to a launch I take my time and sponge off the drips or an water remaining, flip bottom side up and let the sun do its thing while loading the car, any water that may have been remaining dries up pretty quickly in the south Florida Sun...

Lifting and loading was my big problem after heart surgery and the ScupperPro was only 55 pounds, thats why I got the 38 pound kevlar canoe.. I feel sorry for all the people now days that feel the need a wide heavy (usually confused with modern day kayak stability) trying to hump, load, unload, paddle the modernday 80 or 90 pound kayak.

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~