2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

Mark R

Re: 2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

Post by Mark R »

MarkM wrote:How about this to attract some of those who are afraid to enter because they've never fished a tournament and don't know anyone or an area: All the guys that have fished a PFTS tournament before put their names in a hat at sign in. The new guys get to pick a name and go with that guy for the day. Of course, this would be on a volunteer basis by the veterans, but I'm guessing there aren't too many that wouldn't throw their name in a hat.

Could you new guys imagine picking Todd or me for this? It would be the trip of a lifetime because you'd be stuck with both of us for the whole day. That's gotta be worth the price of admission! :cheers: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: The new guys have to buy the old guys a beer at the pic n' sip! Now I know everyone will throw their name in the hat....
Chit six hours of Elmer Fudd (s) and having to pay for beer to recover??????????? :shock:
Skeeter wrote:
MarkM wrote:Strippers. Maybe we need strippers. :lol:
Might be a problem with sponsors Mark, but how about Hooters girls serving free beer?
Kayak race, tug o war, mud flat body surfing, wet t-shirt contest, dogs and burgers.
Now that's all good!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Although I'm chincy about my paid time off at work, I'd still be willing to take a day off in order to fish some of these locations on a weekday so my question/suggestion is, how would the idea of a weekday tourney go over ?

.,Maybe doing a 321fish.com month long online tourney with open enrollment would spark some additional interest in the regular season..
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
catfish308

Post by catfish308 »

Rik wrote:For those that are new to areas, I know it can be daunting. Not only are you fishing an unknown area but you are also using a lure that may not be in your confidence range. I have fished north of the Courtney Campbell 5 times in my life. When I am up there, I am lost and rely completly on others (though I may have reservations on a call to Rocky Creek next time even if the Guv'ner says its a hot spot :D ).
This is pretty much why I haven't been. I've always fished freshwater and am just now getting into the saltwater scene. I haven't been able to participate on the forum much and fish like I want because of my schooling but hope to change that this summer. I just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing there is a good chance I won't catch anything that day. I love to fish and will spend all day on the water trying to catch them, but in a "tournament" I want to have the confidence of catching something.

Eric
When you need it and don't have it...you sing a different tune.
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

I have only done one event, and it was the really crappy day at Ft. Desoto. I had a blast. I would invite my step dad, but i use his kayak to go fishing. I like the idea of the teams.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Tell us what is keeping you away
OK but remember you asked.
I hate getting up before dawn to drive an hour to fish somewhere I've never fished before. Because it is a competition - as nice and friendly a one as I've ever seen- however once it becomes a competition my own syle of fishing changes. I don't enjoy the scenery, don't sit back and enjoy a cigar. I fish-fish-fish. I am also the type of guy that changes lures all day long. I like changing lures, it's why I buy them. Using one lure all day drives me insane!! Now did I mention I hate getting up early, hell I'm the last one to show up at the beach even for Tarpon.
It's not just fishing tournaments. I belong to an Archery Club. I could probably do very well for myself in thier tournaments. It's not why I shoot, for me it would take something away from why I enjoy shooting archery. For me Archery and fishing are basically solitary pursuits, once it becomes a competition it loses something for me. Oh yeah I hate getting up early.
0 0 1

Post by 13 »

I've been fishing PFTS for three years & I already know I will be unable to make all of the events this year, but wanted to say I really like Dan's idea on dividing the prizes more, and I think the two biggest problems we face in attendance is weather & time. We don't fish the times of year most of us love to be on the water, so I agree with others saying we should have one or two in the afternoon instead of early morning, and those should be planned instead of launching in 30 degree weather with 20 knot winds at Perico around 6:00am (im sure all 30-something of us remember that morning). And maybe we could do either the 1st or last tourny of the month in the afternoon too, just for change of pace.

One thing many other sports do that may be worth a try is BFO's (Big Friendly Opens). Same day, once a week/biweekly/monthly, same place, people meet up, maybe $5 gets you in, winner takes all, maybe a small prize for biggest fish of the day, simple rules, name of the game is have fun, meet people & enjoy being on the water. Could have these year round if we wanted to. They could be open to anyone & if we exposed people to a smaller, simplified version of what we do, maybe it would give people the bug.

I'm still poon huntin, by the way :cyclopsani: :shaking2: :cyclopsani:
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

13 wrote:, simple rules, name of the game is have fun, meet people & enjoy being on the water.
That is what the PFTS is all about.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM