2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

John
Guv'ner

Re: 2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

Post by John »

Our founder JayB was the original Curmudgeon!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Native1

Post by Native1 »

Thank you for the definition, I kind of thought it something like that. Or maybe some kind of extinct fish. :?
Leave me alone I'm in my nothing box.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Has Events age they have there Ebbs and flows

It happens in all types of sporting events

What makes a bar or nightclub Hot one month , then dead the next.

Things change

I love the events - it is sad but this is almost the only time I get to go fishing.

I don't mind the cold. :santa:

As it was said before you can't make everybody Happy

I have always invited Friends, Relatives and Neighbors to fish the tournaments with me. So you just get them signed up with an account and go fishing. I understand the rule about anglers being club members. :cheers:

You really need to hear for the member that do not come to the tournaments
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Okay,

How about a fresh water tournament?

A couple ideas:
Lake Manatee and surrounding areas (Braden River, Little Manatee, etc.)

Large bass
Greatest catch in length

Slam:
Bass
Bluegill (and related cousins)
Speck (Crappie)

And here is another idea. An optional competition between fly flingers and conventional gear. Can be an extra pot. I think the freshwater lends itself to this sort of thing.
1 3 12 120 3000
brunz36

Post by brunz36 »

First I wanna say this was my first season and it was really cool getting to meet everyone and fish some new spots. The only recommendation I can make is for the PFTS Angler of the Year, is that we receive a 10 point bonus if we complete the slam. The slam is the ultimate goal of the series and I feel we should get a bonus for achieving said goal.
  • EG: Trout 18 + Snook 22 + Red 26 + 10 Pic n' Sip + 10 Bonus = 86 points
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I think you should be posing the question of why people do not attend to the General board. Pretty likely those that dont fish the event's don't read this forum.

just sayin'
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DRock

Post by DRock »

I assume I am a good example of one of two groups that don't make these events. People like myself just can't get away to fish regularly, much less sacrifice our whole Saturday to pay to fish. I love fishing these tournaments, have met many great people and appreciate the effort that goes into each event to make it happen. Since getting a new job my Saturday's have either been spent working or with my family. I just can't seem to put a Saturday aside to get on the water. I haven't been on the water since March 2010 (anyone feel sorry for me yet!). With that said I hope that the next time I get to fish will be one of these events. I may be rusty, forgot how to fish, but these tournaments are worth it just to get out with a good group of like-minded people and try to outsmart those wonderful fish.

After that rant, my first suggestion would be to agree with the "random partner" event. That would allow people the opportunity to fish with people they have never met, or wanted to meet but never fished with before. The other events are great. I think the lure challenges are great and add an extra challenge for those of us who like to be tested! The next other suggestion would be to open the lines of communication at the Pic n' sips. People tend to stay in their groups and the newbies or quieter folks don't get around and meet new people, which is the best part of these events. It would also be nice to see all of the fish caught if that would be possible. Most of us have to wait to get home and hope to see what everyone caught and compare that to my two 14" trout that I am tired of looking at! Lastly it would be nice to alter the start/finish times depending on the time of year. I know the "leaders/elders" of this group know best which times of years to start earlier/later or when to shorten an event.

Otherwise, keep up the good work, invite a friend, take a moment to introduce yourself to someone new either before or after the day's fishing and have a great time! This is a good group of people, from what I can tell, and I can't wait to get back out there with you guys! :salute:
Derick
Tan W.S. Ride 135
Rik

Post by Rik »

The partner or team event keeps popping up. Honestly, I don't like it. From a mgmt point of view I just see too many down sides. You get paired with someone who you just don't get along with (let's be honest here, we just don't get along with everyone), you get paired with someone who is convinced the fish are south and you are convinced they are north, you get paired with someone who doesn't even catch a lizardfish and you catch a decent slam.

For those that are new to areas, I know it can be daunting. Not only are you fishing an unknown area but you are also using a lure that may not be in your confidence range. I have fished north of the Courtney Campbell 5 times in my life. When I am up there, I am lost and rely completly on others (though I may have reservations on a call to Rocky Creek next time even if the Guv'ner says its a hot spot :D ).

How about this. I know there are a bunch of guys who would willingly take someone under their wing. I know I've done it a few times for folks who are 'lost'. One guy actually placed in a Weedon event after we grabbed him along the way and told him to follow us (though he blew his new found cred completly when he hooked the roof of Harvery's in a casting contest).

Who else among the PFTS regulars would be willing to let someone tag-a-long during a PFTS in an area they aren't familiar with?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik wrote:
Who else among the PFTS regulars would be willing to let someone tag-a-long during a PFTS in an area they aren't familiar with?
I more than welcome anyone to join me anytime or anywhere........I really don't have a problem fishing with anybody even people I don't like :? :? :? Which is mostly the entire worlds Population :? Derick and I have been partners in a few tournaments and have agreed to disagree a few times(most times he was right)....no big deal....again these are for Enjoyment and Comrade not winning a few $$$$.....I still remember talking Derick into fishing EGS and we got skunked he still reminds me from time to time :shock: :oops: :oops: :shock:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rik wrote: Who else among the PFTS regulars would be willing to let someone tag-a-long during a PFTS in an area they aren't familiar with?
As long as they understand that you are the last one to launch and the first one to leave fishing anyone can fish with me any day, anytime. All anyone needs to do is ask. I have seen it many times in a PFTS, just ask and you will get more help than you probably want.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

How about this to attract some of those who are afraid to enter because they've never fished a tournament and don't know anyone or an area: All the guys that have fished a PFTS tournament before put their names in a hat at sign in. The new guys get to pick a name and go with that guy for the day. Of course, this would be on a volunteer basis by the veterans, but I'm guessing there aren't too many that wouldn't throw their name in a hat.

Could you new guys imagine picking Todd or me for this? It would be the trip of a lifetime because you'd be stuck with both of us for the whole day. That's gotta be worth the price of admission! :cheers: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: The new guys have to buy the old guys a beer at the pic n' sip! Now I know everyone will throw their name in the hat....
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

MarkM wrote: Could you new guys imagine picking Todd or me for this? It would be the trip of a lifetime because you'd be stuck with both of us for the whole day. That's gotta be worth the price of admission! :cheers: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Priceless!
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Am I still eligible for Newbie status!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Rik wrote:(though I may have reservations on a call to Rocky Creek next time even if the Guv'ner says its a hot spot :D ).

I do remember saying we should go elsewhere, and that my Rocky Creek Sposts did not fish well on those tides!

Not that it would have mattered, I can't catch fish anymore no matter where I go!
fishlkcrzy

Post by fishlkcrzy »

I attended one in 2008 and it was a blast. I would love to join in on the next series. How soon do we know the dates? If I know them in advance I do not see why I couldn't attend.

P.S. I like the team idea!
Fish Naked!!!
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

MarkM wrote:Strippers. Maybe we need strippers. :lol:
Might be a problem with sponsors Mark, but how about Hooters girls serving free beer?
Kayak race, tug o war, mud flat body surfing, wet t-shirt contest, dogs and burgers.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.