2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

CooKnFish

Re: 2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

Post by CooKnFish »

Native1 wrote:Which brings to mind also, I think the "Newbies" need to be announced and welcomed cheerfully at every pic and sip. That makes them feel like they are accepted by the group and makes them want to come back.
Yea,Rob! Welcome! :cheers:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
BryanS

Post by BryanS »

I was only able to attend one event this year, mainly due to bad timing (kids sick and vacation), but I plan to attend more next year.

I live an hour North of Tampa and the general censuses of the folks up this way is they don’t want to travel and hour plus to fish with one lure, two lures, mystery lure ect in an area they never fish. I personally don’t mind, but just getting out the word on the Hernando county streets.
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it.
—Clarence Darrow
JKL

Post by JKL »

Here is my 2 cents.

Get the dates out for the 2011-12 series as soon as you can so everyone can make their calendars. No excuses!
Maybe try a shotgun start for one of the tournaments - something different
The random team could be interesting
Have a N.O.T.E vs S.O.T.E season long competition. No money involved just bragging rights for the year.
Do not shorten the fishing hours if anything push them an hour
JKL
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Here's my tuppence worth.

I think you are already getting a pretty good turn out actually of 40 anglers per event, but here's what i think you might consider.

Money it could be the cost that is putting some people off, $10 fee, $15 p-f.com donation, I think that is incredibly cheap, but it may be not so for others especially when you factor in gas money etc.

So here's my big idea!

So why not have a "free" event, make it the first event so you can gauge if the money factor really makes a difference.

"The Guts and Glory" all you win is the glory, no money, and maybe some sponsor prizes. Make it a wide open event, maybe have two sign in's SOTE and NOTE, so every one can fish their home waters. So now you got to have the guts to put your skills on your own waters up aginst everyone elses, how much more of a level playing field can you get than that!

Allow everyone to fish with their 3 favorite lures, but maybe limit it to a selection:
1# top water
1# type of soft plastic
1# other (anything goes, spoon, crank bait, jig etc.)

Have one location for the Pic N Sip, the Holiday Inn at the Skyway would be perfectly in the middle. Add 2 hours to the fishing time to allow everybody enough drive time to get from their home water to the location.

Have it around the 3rd weekend of October after the weather breaks.

If you really wanted to see just how many people you can get, have it open to non-members too.

As for other suggestions, you know my thoughts on later start times during the colder months, that has to be a winner.

The random teams is a good idea, we used to do something called "Blind Pairs" in the UK, everyone picks a number at the sign in and whoever you "pair" with is your team mate for the day, you could fish together or still go your seperate ways, but your best 3 of your combined fish count.

One other thing I would like to see is that everyone must show their valid fishing license at the first tourney they fish, this was something done in the UK and I always liked it, keeps everyone honest. I'm sure everyone here has a license.

I like the SOTE vs NOTE idea too, you announce your affiliation at the start of the series and then a tally is kept of just the prize winners, so as to cut down on the work for the organizers, not having to verify everyone's catches. Only prize winning fish count for points. Maybe have a trophy made for that one.

Another thing i like to see is at the least the suggestion that everyone fish barbless.

Ok well thats enough from me, use what you like, leave what you don't!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I really like the idea of a name change to Paddle Fishing Challenge Series. The word "Tournament" is a big turnoff to a lot of people.

I also like the idea of allowing non members to fish. I know its not a real challenge to become a member (except for having to go through hell week), but it could bring out a few of the curious and promote new members. I think it would also be a great idea if every active member made it a point to invite at least one guest during the season, even to the point of paying the $10 fee (and waive the $15 donation fee for first time guests).

I hate getting up that early but I doubt if you could get much interest in moving the start time until about 10:00 am. :snoopy:

Length of fishing time is about right, or it could even be shortened a little. Most people are at the P & S well before the cutoff anyway.

Dump the season long pot. Most people miss one or more and there are only a few people that are really in the running anyway (and I'm not one of them). I felt like I was throwing away an extra $10 bucks a pop.

I know you guys put a lot of work into this and deserve a better turnout, but the economy is not so great right now and I think it is holding down attendance.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
TexasDan

Post by TexasDan »

The $15 donation fee. For each first time guess you bring you can take off $5.00 per guess. This would help the members save money
and help with the attendance.

Season long pot could be for the total of inches per each event not just up grades. One fish per category per event.
PFTS#1: Red=25, Trout=17, Snook=21......Season Long Total = 63
PFTS#2: Red=20, Trout=12, Snook=0........Season Long Total = 95
PFTS#3: Red=28, Trout=22, Snook=14......Season Long Total = 159
Rik

Post by Rik »

TexasDan wrote:
Season long pot could be for the total of inches per each event not just up grades. One fish per category per event.
It is almost that way now Dan except you also get 10 points for each event you attend. If a person attends all 5, that is 50 points. If you attend but catch nothing, you still get 10 points.

Like this:

PFTS#1: Red=25, Trout=17, Snook=21, Attendance=10......Season Long Total = 73
PFTS#2: Red=0, Trout=0, Snook=0, Attendance=10........Season Long Running Total = 83
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TexasDan

Post by TexasDan »

Rik wrote:
TexasDan wrote:
It is almost that way now Dan except you also get 10 points for each event you attend. If a person attends all 5, that is 50 points. If you attend but catch nothing, you still get 10 points.

Like this:

PFTS#1: Red=25, Trout=17, Snook=21, Attendance=10......Season Long Total = 73
PFTS#2: Red=0, Trout=0, Snook=0, Attendance=10........Season Long Running Total = 83
Ok.
I did not really look at it since I knew I was not going to make it to most of them this year.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Rik wrote: Would that pull in some of you folks that don't attend?
"Is there a doctor in the house!??"

Dammit, if I could get a doctor to write me a script saying that Saturday fishing is great therapy for BOTH elbows ... :fishing: :kayak: :chug: ... maybe I could fish a few more tourneys. :cool:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

JKL wrote: Get the dates out for the 2011-12 series as soon as you can so everyone can make their calendars. No excuses!
That would help a little but I have a guy at work who has me by seniority that has USF Bulls season football tickets. That takes care of just about every friggin Saturday during Sept, Oct and Nov.

Plus .... I work for the Post Office as most know.

We are only allowed off in December if there's a death in the family ... OUR OWN!!! :shock: :? :roll:

I'll continue to make as many as possible. :cool:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Rik

Post by Rik »

BryanS wrote:I live an hour North of Tampa and the general censuses of the folks up this way is they don’t want to travel and hour plus to fish with one lure, two lures, mystery lure ect in an area they never fish. I personally don’t mind, but just getting out the word on the Hernando county streets.
Bryan, I can sympathize with that. I live in Sarasota. Most of the events mean a long drive over the bridge. Not sure how to solve that issue. We've tried to move them around top include our members locations. From north Tampa Bay to Weeden to Perico/Palma Sola. I'm guessing that put us less than an hour for most of the folks on this forum.

However, we are open to suggestions!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Barbless hooks is an outstanding idea. Last event proved that one can place with no barbs. The trout and snook especially appreciate it. Please, no matter what other changes are made include this one.
I know some don't like it but I kinda like the idea of blind pairings.
Fishing in December often just plain sucks. I'd rather bring it into May and get rid of the colder weather events.
When you do decide on some changes run a poll and see what feedback you get.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Rik wrote:
BryanS wrote:I live an hour North of Tampa and the general censuses of the folks up this way is they don’t want to travel and hour plus to fish with one lure, two lures, mystery lure ect in an area they never fish. I personally don’t mind, but just getting out the word on the Hernando county streets.
Bryan, I can sympathize with that. I live in Sarasota. Most of the events mean a long drive over the bridge. Not sure how to solve that issue. We've tried to move them around top include our members locations. From north Tampa Bay to Weeden to Perico/Palma Sola. I'm guessing that put us less than an hour for most of the folks on this forum.

However, we are open to suggestions!

Maybe add a second SOTE location? Have northern event in palma sola and a southern out of longboat or some place down there.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Long Range Provider

Post by Long Range Provider »

I like the idea of a team or blind pairing myself. Being new to saltwater fishing and not really that well experienced in kayak fishing I would have felt a lot more comfortable with a partner. I only made one tournament event this year because I had no idea the club existed until just recently but I found myself alone all day fishing. Not really a bad thing in the big picture but again, I didn't see another kayak fishing around me all day. I had a couple equipment issues at one point and ended up getting very wet while I decided to experiment. Again, probably not a good idea to "try" something when you're alone. I think I may have been more comfortable being assigned someone for the day or for my first tournament with the club just to make sure I understood the rules, got to "see" how things were done and at least had someone there to film my experiment for a laugh after. As it is, you all missed me swimming! Maybe we could have a non-members entry, different color number, that would not include them in a season long pot but not prevent them from fishing for the other prizes offered. I know being involved in my motorcycle club in Alabama when we did poker runs we recruited by sending invitations or actually going to one of their monthly meetings and just standing up at some point and telling them what, when and where and how they can be involved or simply show up and enjoy it. Just a thought seeing there is the B.A.C.K and Kayak Kops I know of so far. I'm sure there are more too I just don't about.
A lot of great ideas I have read so far. I know despite my experience in my first event I plan to see you all next year and hope to get more involved with the club and functions

On a side note, Rik, is there an official letter you have or can provide to members that, while in our travels and endeavors, if we run across a potential sponsor, we can provide them with the club info and contact information. Is there any restrictions on sponsorship/ donations? I guess this would include the Heroes on the Water also.

Thanks for letting me put in my dime!
The tug is my drug.. But it's the scream that I dream
Native1

Post by Native1 »

The bottom line is, you cant make everyone happy no matter how hard you try. I personally hate the cold weather events also (Florida native) and I believe it may be a little harder for some people to attend the events around the holidays.

The money shouldnt be an issue, these events are extremely well priced as far as Im concerned.

I think if we keep showing off more pictures of the big fish we catch in our little kayaks, more and more people will want to get out and try it. How do you think Dano and Derek (AKA The Newbies) got interested in it? They got tired of looking at Daves pictures of his fish and decided they wanted to catch some too! Theres two right there that I guarantee will be back next year.

Rob

PS: What the heck is a Carmudgeon!!!????
Leave me alone I'm in my nothing box.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Native1 wrote: PS: What the heck is a Carmudgeon!!!????
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curmudgeon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty much fits myself as well as a few others :) :) :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!