Mystery Lures - which ones would you use again?

Rik

Mystery Lures - which ones would you use again?

Post by Rik »

From the lures in the bag, which ones will you use again? Which ones worked for you on Saturday?

I only used the High Roller topwater, the Angler-Ammo dark jig and the Aqua Dream spoon.

I had bang after bang early on the topwater from some small fish. Hooked a few but they probably had their lips ripped upon setting the hook. They'd be on the hook for about 3 seconds then gone. I really liked the action of that topwater but you had to move it slower than most or it would dive.

Only caught one fish all day and it was on the spoon.

I will use all three of the lures again.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Vlap

Re: Mystery Lures - which ones would you use again?

Post by Vlap »

I hate spoons and never use them. The aqua dream spoon may have changed my mind. I will try it some more tomorrow.

I enjoyed the topwater as well and will use it more in the future.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Thought the spoon was great, caught 6 reds on it.

Have used the Slayer Jig heads in the past, like them a lot. Caught two reds and my trout on a Slayer Jig Head and the bass assasin chartrueuse tail and the Slayer chartruese jig head. Will use both again.

Only used the bucktail for a few casts.

Liked the topwater, did not catch anything on it but still liked it. Needs to be worked slower than other topwater baits I am used to.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
SlikNik

Post by SlikNik »

I really liked the Slayer jig head quality, comparable to the Owner TwistNLocks. I would definitely purchase some.
Grade A

On the down side in my opinion was the Topwater. Although I caught trout and Redfish on it I feel its weighted to heavy in the rear. It doesn't walk the dog nearly as well as a Spook Jr or a Skitterwalk. It walks well if you go slowly with it but if you increase the tempo, not reliable.
I feel I can trick a Snook anytime into eating my Spook Jr. even when they won't eat. I just didn't have that feeling working this lure.

On a plus side the topwater seems to push aside floating grass much better than a Spook or Skitterwalk, maybe the shape of this thing has something to do with it. Plus you can cast it a mile. Nice graphics on them as well.

I would give it a B-

Funny thing when I tied the Spoon on I thought it looked just like a Capt. Mikes...this was explained later
Grade A on that

All in all not bad, fun day. Congrats to the winners
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

I left the spoon rigged on a rod and am leaving it there. I also liked the jig heads and will use them again.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Well i guess i will chime in here: i used the topwater and first thing i notice was no rattle so since i didnt know how to work it i went straight to the plastics first cast with the Texas shad on the slayer weedless hook BOOM a nice 24" red and then right after that 2 trout i felt the plastics were great if our favorite little friends better known as the puffer fish would have left them alone it would have been great. I felt that spoon was ok the only thing i snagged was a baitfish right behind the gills. i got broke off on the jig head so i never had an oppurtunity for that one. I went back out today and landed a nice 21" trout and a 19" red i actually have decided to order some of the Texas Shad from Bassassassin couldnt beat it you get a 100 for 3.99 not bad. The slayer hooks will definately be in my bag for now on especially for Jacksonville with these hooks i felt the hook pretty much set it self. well yall have a good nite.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I have been using HighRollers for years so I was excited that P-F.com was interested in bringing them in for this tournament.
These are high quality plugs made right here in Florida. If I'm going to pay good money for a plug, I would rather have a handcrafted wooden plug made in my own backyard than an over-priced piece of plastic from parts unknown. Everyone should really thank Todd for the HighRoller Original because I was wanting to bring in the RipRoller (propbait).

I have used Bass Assassin tails before but find that the soft compound does not last long. I was out of tails early. The bodies would be torn up after catching one fish or they would get eaten by the pinfish. On a positive note, the softer compound give the bait great action and attracts fish to inhale it. The first cast into my trout hole produced a 18.75" trout that I had to cut off because the hook was so deep.

This was my first time using the Slayer Jigs product. I didn't get to use them enough to really form an opinion. The hook looks to be of good quality, there is lead molded to the front of the hook much like any other jighead. The first jighead I lost on the first fish. I tied on the jighead with the weed guard and lost the first two fish. I promptly cut off the wire weed guard and connected and landed the next fish. I did not get a chance to use the weedless hook but I am sure it works just like the hooks I use regularly since they appear to be identical. I am a big fan of the Hitch Hiker style bait hangers.

This was my second AquaDream Spoon. I am ashamed to say that I have not really used the first one that I got back in February. I'm not a big spoon person but there was a time that I did use the old Capt. Mike spoon a lot. As soon as I tied it on and started wading a shallow flat I nailed a second 18.75" trout. I also got to witness the most awesome take that I have seen in a long time when the 24" red slammed the spoon right in front of me. I turned my head to say something to Jeff and out of the corner of my eye I saw the red blast through the weeds. I did not know where my spoon was so I kept working it. Before I could even yell to Jeff about this red that popped up, I saw my spoon flash and in that instance he ate it. It was absolutely amazing! I'll be packing this spoon in my tackle tray for future trips.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Mako

Post by Mako »

Aquadream Spoon (without the split ring) gets an A+
HighrollerTopwater gets a C-..... Great hooks, casts like a bullet, but the action sucks.
The weedless hook (I think by Slayer, Inc) gets a B+. Very sharp and strong, very similar to my favorite Owner hooks, just wish they had their centering-pin spring system.
Anything with "hair" gets an F from me when fishing for snook, red, and trout :wink:
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Really liked the spoon. I have never been a huge fan of that type of weed guard, but I didn't have any issues with grass (for the 20 minutes that I got to fish with it). I prefer that a topwater makes a little bit more noise than the High Roller plug that was provided. Otherwise, I thought it was a nice plug. I didn't have any issues with mine diving, and I worked it at the same speed I would a Spook Jr., or a Skitterwalk. Seeing the Slayer Inc. hooks in the package was a releif. I have been a fan of their products for a while. Not a huge fan of the Bass Assassin Products in general. I find that their plastic is entirely too soft, and don't last long with pinfish and puffers around. I am sucker for bucktails. I wish that the white one wasn't on a skimmer head, but otherwise, I liked them.

I give the selection an A overall. :thumbright:
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

Wow! I love to hear the great response on the ADL spoons. I love them because of their great action in shallow water. We will be getting more spoons in the stores in the St Pete / Tampa area. Glad most of you enjoyed them.
Fish the Forgotten Coast.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I used the topwater and caught two fish on it, a ladyfish and a trout. Everthing else was caught on the green Bass Assassin tail on the Owner TwistNLock. In fact, I left this rig on my rod and fished it the next weekend with the same tail and caught a 26" red. The tail is still useable and I plan to see how many fish I can catch on it.

The topwater was a little strange and took some getting used to. Once I got the hang of working it though, I liked it.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

The spoon...the spoon...the spoon! I caught all three of my fish in that spoon that day. In fact it has been on one of my rods since the event. The other day I caught 2 reds and a trout on it. I am buying more.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Went out for a couple hours this morning hoping for pompano. Tied on the Anglers Ammo chartreuse/white bucktail jig and went to work. No pomps but half a dozen pinfish, couple lizardfish, a flounder, a grouper and 4 good size bluefish in about 2 hours.

Old school low priced lure that catches fish. I like em!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley