PFTS General Info

Rik

PFTS General Info

Post by Rik »

These 'tournaments' are designed to be fun, make you think a little bit, introduce you to new areas and new lures. So many fishermen go to the same places with the same lures every time they go out. This series will move you around and force you to try new lures. I always look forward to the Mystery Lure event - where you have no idea what you'll use until we hand you lures on the morning of the event - to see before fishing and after fishing reactions.

This is a $10 per event entry tournament with a 100% payout - 50% to 1st, 30% to 2nd and 20% to 3rd. 80 entries means you can win $400. No kayak, no $150 sunglasses, no $400 paddle. The $10 entry is really just so you have some skin in the game.

We purposely have not sought out big money winnings and big money prizes . We want this to be a local series. While they are invited to attend, we're not looking for the big factory sponsored teams or the tournament fishermen who travel big distances for big money.

This is a series for us. Regular guys and gals who just like to fish. There's always this 'thing' in the background of forums of people wondering how they can meet - in person - other forum members. This is the way to do it. The Pic n' Sip (the 'weigh-in' in non CPR tournaments) lasts, for some, longer than the fishing time. We'd probably bet beers instead of $10 if there wasn't such a word as "litigious" in this country.

For those that have been around for a while and participate - Thank You and I hope you have as much fun this season as in the past seasons! For those that have been around and have never participated, give it a try. I think that even those who have won will tell you that the fun and camaraderie was worth more than the money they got. For folks new to the forum, this is by far the easiest and best way to get out and meet a bunch of guys and gals who all enjoy fishing from paddle craft.

Please don't let the word "tournament" scare you away. I'd call it a funament if it didn't sound so damn corny. Oh...wait...I just did....

Others that have participated - please chime in!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pag_yaker

Re: PFTS General Info

Post by pag_yaker »

It's been YEARS since I fished one of these events, but always enjoy reading about the pre/post event banter. I'm hoping to fish more of them this year though. For this event, I'll be in an area I've never fished before, and I don't even have a measuring tape anymore. Still, what the heck - I know it will be fun. Might even have to break out my "OLC" shirt ... :)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association