Neighborhood Ponds

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Neighborhood Ponds

Post by SRQGator »

It's been a long time since I've posted a report, and a first for Freshwater. I haven’t done much fishing the past couple years, work and kids and all. We moved recently and now we have a few small ponds close by. Before that, you could count the number of times I had been bass fishing on one hand. There's some learning to do.

The first night we moved in, I took the kids to the nearest pond and they each caught nice little bass within minutes. They were stoked. This should be easy I thought. Right?

Image Image

Wrong.

Winter through spring it was the occasional small bass with a bluegill here and there. We tried different worms, different rigs, frogs, Spooks, jigs and crank baits. As spring turned to summer the action really slowed down. I would go days, a couple weeks at one point, without so much as a bite.

I started theorizing that the easiest places to fish are just that, so everybody fishes there and the fish are wise.

My first decent bass came after I bushwacked my way around the side of the pond. This guy (gal?) hammered my Spook Jr.

A few more weeks rolled by. My son caught bass here and there, but I was having no luck. So this week I finally got off my ass and redneck rigged my bike to haul the canoe to some of the more remote ponds.

Last night was the first bike/canoe trip and we did well. Not huge fish, but multiple bites and we landed three. For as hot as it's been I was surprised to find this much action. I was feeling pretty smart with my remote pond theory.

Image Image

So tonight I walked to the pond at the end of the road, the one where the neighborhood kids roll up in trucks and four-wheelers to fish everyday. Never caught a thing there myself, but I thought I’d throw a worm for a few minutes anyway. Right away I was getting hits just like last night. Lost one fish from pulling too soon. A couple more hits. Then I got this sucker on the slow take. Pulled like hell for a bass. Note the light color.

Image Image

There goes my theory.
1 1 12?
bluebill

Re: Neighborhood Ponds

Post by bluebill »

Great Report............. reminds me to get out to the Cape Coral lakes and ponds in the morning and evening. I love it when they take top water plugs.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Nice, I used to fish fresh water all the time before getting into paddling.. neighorhood ponds are great around here especially older ones.. say 20 years ago almost all the ponds are somehow connected to the tri-county area drainage canal systems and could hold anything form minnows and tad-poles to beast tarpon and snook. Recently, 20 years and younger, most develoment requires builders to put in a self contained retention pond to hold runoff some suck, but some have been stocked...

Here if you can get in its always worth a few cast.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Nice work pops! :cool:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

nice pictures......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice Post Jay.....Man I cant get over how big your son has gotten.....I remember just yesterday you pulling up to my house with a tiny young baby in your arms.......Good Job being a Dad.......BTW... I loved walking the local ponds but last year every one was posted I mean single one.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Looks like fun. Well done.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve