? Largemouth Bass News

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
bluebill

? Largemouth Bass News

Post by bluebill »

Have any of you folk been fishing for largemouth bass?

I have been catching a few in Cape Coral on plastic worms but it seems like the season is off to a slow start.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: ? Largemouth Bass News

Post by Manning »

I live in Sarasota. I have a fairly large residential pond behind my house. I walk a bone colored Spook Jr across there just before sunset and get great action.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Manning - thanks for reminding me that evening is a great time for bass - I will try a top water plug in the early evening tomorrow and over the weekend. I am partial to the Heddon Baby Torpedo and Tiny Torpedo in various colors and patterns.
bluebill

Re: ? Largemouth Bass News-Update

Post by bluebill »

I tried a topwater plug several evenings this week in a lake in Cape Coral. The lake has lots of bass and mayan cichlids. Caught bass mostly 1 to 3 # in size especially when I worked the plug near shore. Also caught a few larger Mayans on the same bass plug.

The bass were just as active in the same lake when I passed by there one late morning. I am anxious for some rain to get the culverts flowing in the Cape canals.

I have recently run across a couple of bass fisherman who are using a white softbait similar to a DOA shadtail on a lead jig head. Have any of you tried such a lure???

I have seen an unexpected number of water snakes this past week both morning and late evening so look before you step.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Killed a couple coral snakes a month or so ago. Oddly we don't see cottonmouth/copperheads that much. Perhaps the key word is see. Osprey have been pounding the bedding bass, but that should be over shortly if not already.

The bass here love the silver 3" rapala and they really like the 3" riptide rootbeer paddletail - probably similar to that shad you're describing. We've had some monsters pulled out at 13-14#, but that's shinner fishing. Brown jigs pulled out a 9# in 6' of water. Things will slow down once this heat kicks in. Then it's a 6am and 9pm fishery.
JB
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Not aware of where you are catching the big ones jbdba)1 but nice to read your report.

I used the rapala flatrap 6 which is about 3" long for baby tarpon and caught many, some on the silver color. Will try it now for Cape Coral bass.

On a recent visit to the ER in the Lee Memorial Hospital, Cape Coral, I inquired and they do keep supplies of anti snake venom fresh and on hand. Their most recent case was that of a plumber who got bitten on his hand by a Coral Snake.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

bluebill wrote:Not aware of where you are catching the big ones jbdba)1 but nice to read your report.

I used the rapala flatrap 6 which is about 3" long for baby tarpon and caught many, some on the silver color. Will try it now for Cape Coral bass.

On a recent visit to the ER in the Lee Memorial Hospital, Cape Coral, I inquired and they do keep supplies of anti snake venom fresh and on hand. Their most recent case was that of a plumber who got bitten on his hand by a Coral Snake.
Litha, FL...
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

jbdba01 wrote:Killed a couple coral snakes a month or so .
You're a smart guy so I'm hesitant to raise this but, you know me.
1. Are you sure they were coral snakes? They are typically quite secretive. Often found under debris or logs and such. Daytime encounters are rare as they are most often nocturnal. The scarlet king snake, which is more often encountered, mimics their coloration.
" red touches yellow kills a fellow "
2. Venimation by coral snakes is very rare. To kill one, or two, or six, is quite unnesassary.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

DaveR wrote:
jbdba01 wrote:Killed a couple coral snakes a month or so .
You're a smart guy so I'm hesitant to raise this but, you know me.
1. Are you sure they were coral snakes? They are typically quite secretive. Often found under debris or logs and such. Daytime encounters are rare as they are most often nocturnal. The scarlet king snake, which is more often encountered, mimics their coloration.
" red touches yellow kills a fellow "
2. Venimation by coral snakes is very rare. To kill one, or two, or six, is quite unnesassary.
Positive...they all had black noses. Let's just say I was danger close at night. They were hanging by the sidewalk - right where you walk the dogs. Course the first thing the dogs dois shove their nose into everything.

My Yankee neighbor pulled one out of the pool. I was sure it was going to be a ringneck - I've pulled out at least 6 ringnecks in our pool. Damn'ed if he wasn't right.

The other neighbors killed them at night too - taking garbage out.

I always thought they would be kinda sluggish - damned if they ain't fast buggers. Seen them run over by cars at the bus stops for kids too.

Ran into a scarlet day time - much bigger snake.

I let go all the ringnecks, black/grey racers...kinda lost track how many there are of those. "Welcome to FL."

Pretty simple rule for them...I see a poisonous snake I dispatch them. There's 5-6 more to replace them for sure. Nonpoisonous I leave them be, but I tell my wife I whacked 'em. She sleeps better that way.
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Sorry about the hijacking. I have a sweet spot for our scaly friends. Just know that scarlet kings and even occasionally scarlet snakes, can have a black nose. The color pattern where red is adjacent to yellow is the coral snake. They are very shy and really have to be provoked into biting. I don't mind killing things that need killing. Ya know, like radical Muslims, but snakes rarely make it in my list.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I am with you Dave.......I have even let a few Rattlers go in my time.......Not fond of Mocs but they have their place as well........I almost beat the $hit out of my neighbor last year for killing a Racer.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Just can't see killing something just because it has the capability (even if a slim chance) of killing you. A pity

I chose to move here to Florida the Snakes didn't make that choice.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Sorry boys - we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Too many kids, dogs, people around. Even it it minimizes the odds of a single trip to the hospital then the snake is history. These snakes aren't going to kill anyone, but they will put a major smack down on you.

Cotton mouths, copperheads, rattlers (pigmy or not), coral snakes....all on the home dispatch list.

I don't mess with snakes in the woods. Just the way it is...
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good point Johnny.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Put the kids and pets away and move the critter. If you can fight a tarpon you can move a little snake, esp. a coral snake.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Rik

Post by Rik »

I wonder if coral snakes make for good tarpon bait.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley