Santa Fe River

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Pip

Santa Fe River

Post by Pip »

A few weeks a go I returned to the Santa Fe River to catch some Suwannee Bass. I haven't fished up there in a couple of years...seemed like every time I wanted go the water was too high or too low. I floated from the 441 bridge in High Springs down to Rum Island. The current was good, however the wind was not...a strong west wind had me paddling most of the time instead of "going with the flow". Anyway, in between the paddling I did manage a to catch 8 Suwannee's most small, but as luck would have it the last fish (as I lost the my last jig they were eating) was a nice fat little 13-incher.

Here are few pics of the trip:

These are definitely special fish and the Santa Fe is special fishery for these feisty beautiful little fish. I didn't catch a largemouth all day. As you can see the Santa Fe is nice and wide, perfect if you wanted to fly fish too (I'd like to try a wooly bugger on a sinking line).
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Santa Fe River

Post by Todd »

Never knew there was such a thing as a Suwanee Bass. Thanks for the info.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Pip

Post by Pip »

Oh yeah! Here is a link and excerpt from Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission. They forget to mention that Suwannee's put up a hell of a fight for their size!

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profi ... nnee-bass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suwannee Bass:

Appearance:

A heavy-bodied black bass that seldom exceeds 12 inches long. Mature Suwannee bass have bright turquoise coloring on the cheeks, breast, and belly. The upper jaw does not extend beyond the eye, and there is only a shallow notch between the dorsal fins. A distinct dark blotch where the lateral line meets the caudal fin and scales on bases of dorsal, anal and caudal fins further identify Suwannee bass.

Habitat:

Originally restricted to the Suwannee and Ochlockonee rivers, they now are in the Santa Fe, Ichetucknee, St. Marks, Aucilla and Wacissa systems. They prefer rapidly flowing water along rocky shoals.

Behavior:

Spawning occurs from February to June. Crayfish are a major food item for Suwannees.

State Record:

3.89 lbs. Big Catch: 16 inches or 2 lbs.

Fishing Tips and Facts:

Although mostly taken while fishing for other species, popular lures and baits include small crayfish-colored spinnerbaits, crankbaits, plastic worms, jigs and crayfish.
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

Suwannee bass is on my bucket list ... Along with shoal bass and shad.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff