Miami Peacock Bass Update

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
bluebill

Miami Peacock Bass Update

Post by bluebill »

I got to fish several hours on Saturday and again on Sunday.

The peacocks were just not where I usually find them. Those spots were receiving a strong easterly wind and water was choppy and murky.

I finally managed to ease into the leeward shore of a couple of lakes and caught four fish total in about 7 hours of fishing.

I estimated one fish at 21" length, a good fight on very light spinning tackle. Second largest was 19".

The water had come up a foot or more after the TS Andrea rains of Thurs and Friday. This should improve the peacock bass fishing as I have read that they turn to the spawning business once the rainy season starts.

I did walk the bank of the Snapper Creek Canal between Sunset and Kendall Drive. The water was running fast from the TS rains and I never saw a peacock bass.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
godsmack481

Re: Miami Peacock Bass Update

Post by godsmack481 »

Down in Florida City a friend of mine let my girlfriend and I into her apartment complex, I forget the name, we caught a few Peacocks right at the shoreline and they were certainly in their spawning season. In 1 hour we managed to pick up 3 that ranged from 4-4.5lbs, but they just didn't seem too interested in any lure too much. The lure they were caught on was a Strike King spinner.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

godsmack

You were fortunate to get into a community with a lake that has peacock bass. And, the fish south of Miami survived the double year freeze better than those further north.

I have tried a spinner for them just a few times and probably gave up too soon. They will chase and take other plugs that imitate a prey fish like a mayan, brim, small bass or whatever is in the lake so why not a spinner or spoon. Krash likes the Rapala x-rap plugs. I fish those and soft plastics in bright colors on various weight single hook jigs. All worked fairly fast and erratically.

Three (4) pounders is good fishing.

Thanks for the report.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

I remember a few years back I was catching them like crazy at Mowry Canal by the Homestead Miami Speedway and some other lakes and canals in that area. My largest was just over 5lbs caught on a 1/4oz. jig head with a twin tail pearl grub. But the most amazing catch to date was a smaller peacock bass (4lbs or so) on a Rapala Skitter Walk. I can't say with certainty, but peacock bass that I have seen just don't seem as aggressive as they used to. Either way, I love catching them.