Peacocks near Naples ?

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
bluebill

Peacocks near Naples ?

Post by bluebill »

I have heard recently that some peacock bass have been caught near Golden Gate, Naples.

Can anyone confirm this report or have any more specifics?
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
bluebill

Re: Peacocks near Naples ?

Post by bluebill »

OK, no interest I guess. So, I will check this out myself and carefully encrypt any locations I find for Butterfly Peacock Bass.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Oh I suspect there is interest but no knowledge which is what you were looking for, I think.

If you gain some knowledge, I'd love to hear about it. I'd go to Naples for peacocks
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I've heard the rumors, but thats about it. I have caught cichlids in lakes as far north as Bonita Springs, so its likely possible, but that was before the freeze. If they are there, and you are willing to look, its probably only a matter of time. If they aren't there, largemouth should be your consolation prize.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Thanks Rik and Chris

I will check it out next trip down to Naples. And then will fish it serioulsly in May when they are on their beds and easier to spot. They are supposed to be in the Golden Gate canal near I-75.

Looking on Google Earth, I do not see a direct link between the Golden Gate canal system and the canal heading east toward Miami along Alligator Alley. So, the peacocks may have been introduced by a local zealot.

Not much happening with largemouths in the Cape Coral canals yet but I will make the rounds about weekly until I find them feeding.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Was down that way last weekend. Poon, snook, Mayans, but no peacock.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Post by 0119 »

There was something on a forum about a small peacock caught in a Golden Gate canal just before they started the reclamation project. Not that, that means it was true....
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

The report I received was from a county agent that works with aquatics and wildlife.

But, show me the photos.

DaveR - thanks for the report - I was catching baby tarpon here on Pine island thru the overcast day before the first cold day - since then nothing - hope they return this weekend when it will be much warmer - but, I have not found the snook yet in their normal cold weather canal haunts
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

http://www.yakangler.com/kayak-fishing/ ... se-to-home

Here are your photos bluebill. Good luck!
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

ChrisR,

Thanks for the link to Bob Bramletts nice article and photos of peacock bass he says were caught in Golden Gate are of Naples.

I have not taken the time yet to check it out. But I will soon.

I did get over to Miami again about 10 days ago and fished one evening and the next morning. The peacocks were staging in close in deeper water and I caught a few, moderate size. Only a very few pairs on shallow beds. They took small soft plastic baits. No action on a Rapala crankbait but I will try fast plugs again next trip.

I will visit Miami again on the weekend of June 8th for a relatives birthday party. I will fish all I can and I expect more action as we get closer to summer.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

My brother gave it a go a couple of weeks ago, but was unsuccessful fishing with shiners. I have a date with some tarpon in Matlacha this weekend, and am going to try to sneak down and give it a go if I have time...I'll report if we are able to get into anything.