Hillsborough River by 56th Street

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
casteryaker

Hillsborough River by 56th Street

Post by casteryaker »

I took my newly acquired Caster 12.5 out on the Hillsborough river today. Launched off the ramp off of Riverhills drive (Left off 56th street before the bridge) Got up at 5:30 am and got some coffee and cast netted some golden shiners (Bass anglers best friend), then bought some beer (had to wait till' 7) and was on my way. I spend a while paddling around admiring the surprisingly crystal clear water, then started throwing around a red trick worm rigged weedless. Not much action going on. I slowly made my way south-ish back towards the 56th st. bridge. I anchored before it and sent a golden shiner under a bobber and 2 feet of line right under the bridge. I just relaxed and started casting my rubber worm. I hooked a small bass on the worm and reeled him in, right as i had him in hand and removed the hook, I happened to look for my bobber, it was gone! I released the little guy and promptly grabbed the shiner rod. I set the hook and cranked in a 4.2 lb. bass. Not bad! The rest of the day involved drinking beer and fishing mostly with rubber worms along the vegetation. Caught a few more nice ones, I kept 3 total which ill be frying up shortly here. All in all, not a bad day. Worth a look if you're in the general area.
-Nick [/img]
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Sounds like a good day.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Dayum! Nice day!

I drive by there every day. Never stopped since the water level is usually too low IMO. Will think twice next time I have some spare time. 8)

Good report, but get us some pics next time eh. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

That really is a nice area to paddle if you put in at the park on Riverhills and go north (against the current). When you get past the park and around the bend, it is completely undeveloped and natural. A great place for paddling around and checking out the local wildlife (quite a few gators out there). I used to live on the river just south of the 56th St. bridge and caught a few decent bass right off the dock.

Ditto on the pics, I would love to see some.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Chadryan wrote:...I used to live on the river just south of the 56th St. bridge and caught a few decent bass right off the dock...
Heck, you may know my boss. He lives on River Hills, west off the bridge (to the left when headed north on 56th) and caught this bad-boy :shock: ...
...near his dock but a bit further south of the bridge he said.
The CD is there for size comparison.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
casteryaker

Post by casteryaker »

Those are the ones I kept. Very tasty!
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

Very Nice!
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14