Freshwater yak spots in Polk County

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Swamprider

Freshwater yak spots in Polk County

Post by Swamprider »

Looking for some freshwater spots to yak in around Polk county I am interested in pan fish and cat fish any ideas?
2b1 Ask one
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

This months issue of Florida Game & Fish had a good article about top Florida panfish lakes.

www.floridagameandfish.com
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

If you come down SR 37 from the Lakeland area to SR 62, turn left and go approx. 9.3 miles to John Gill Road and turn left, go about 1.25 miles to Ollie Roberts Road and turn right, drive about 1/4 mile to Hardee Lakes County Park on the left.
They have four separate lakes, lots of bass, panfish and catfish, C&R only on the bass. So far I've not had the chance to take a kayak in, just the stinkpot (20 HP limit). We've done pretty well with catfish and panfish. I've seen some good size bass caught there.
Seems to be an underused facility, probably because it's somewhat out of the way, they do have a nice campground too and there is a limit on the number of boats allowed on the lake (they usually don't max out).

http://www.hardeecounty.net/index.cfm?BCC=10
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing

Post by 0119 »

Are'nt Lake Alfred and Lake Eloise in Polk County? Back around 95' we used to catch lots of big bass and tons of crappie in Lake Eloise.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Hardee Lakes County Park .... Hmmmmm.

Seems as if I was at that same park a month or so ago looking for some freshwater fishing and it was closed Monday thru Thursday.

I have Thursdays off. :(

Had to find something else.

This may have been another park I was at but I don't think so. I'll have to check the map to see.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Yep, all but certain that's where my brother and I were. Very disappointed.

Perhaps it's closed Mon - Thurs because all the Snowbirds are gone for the summer?? Just wondering.
GIL

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

0119 wrote:Are'nt Lake Alfred and Lake Eloise in Polk County? Back around 95' we used to catch lots of big bass and tons of crappie in Lake Eloise.
Yep, there's a park on the south side (I think) of Lake Alfred. Been there but not REAL sure of my bearings when I stopped.

Bet you could launch a kayak there.

Don't worry about them Big Ol' Gators. Worry about fallin' off the couch while having a heart attack. :wink: ha!!
GIL

Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:Hardee Lakes County Park .... Hmmmmm.

Seems as if I was at that same park a month or so ago looking for some freshwater fishing and it was closed Monday thru Thursday.

I have Thursdays off. :(

Had to find something else.

This may have been another park I was at but I don't think so. I'll have to check the map to see.
Have not been there since last summer, that's disappointing, wonder if it's a victim of County cutbacks over there?
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Chief1600 wrote: Have not been there since last summer, that's disappointing, wonder if it's a victim of County cutbacks over there?
County cutbacks could be a possibility. Hardee Co. ain't exactly the most populated in the state. I'll have to hit that one on a weekend :? sometime.
GIL