Hillsborough River- Sargeant's Park

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Silverspoon

Hillsborough River- Sargeant's Park

Post by Silverspoon »

I finally made it up to the river this afternoon. I launched at Sargeant's Park at 3:45. The weather was perfect, virtually no wind. Turtles and alligators were abundant and the fishing was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! I caught three large bowfins, guestamated at 6-8 lbs, three largemouth bass, 18" and two 15" and I lost two bass, one of which looked pretty big when it jumped once, also a catfish which weighed in at six lbs eleven ounces, and I snagged a plecostamus. All were caught on a watermellon color Roostertail. Not bad for a quick two hour trip.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

LOVE that area.

Gonna paddle Dead River if'n we ever git any rain.

I'll post just before I go. That way if I meet up with "Big Joe" y'all'll know why I ain't postin' no more. No ... wait ... they killed Big Joe. I bet Big Joe's brothers or nephews done growed up by now though. :shock:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Alnorito

h

Post by Alnorito »

I'm dying to do some freshwater fishing.
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

How do you guys feel about those big gators when you're in your kayaks. I've stayed away from freshwater in the LHB on thier account, but I sure miss tossing poppers on a 4 wt for big bluegills.
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
Duckbill

Post by Duckbill »

Hooked wrote:How do you guys feel about those big gators when you're in your kayaks. I've stayed away from freshwater in the LHB on thier account, but I sure miss tossing poppers on a 4 wt for big bluegills.
You're speaking my language talking about Bluegills on the fly :D . There are certain lakes I avoid in the kayak because there are just too many BIG gators in them. I usually throw my jonboat in those lakes. My big problem is hanging a stringer of bream from the side of the kayak. Gators and Mocassins have a hard time resisting an easy meal like that.
Isaiah 41:10
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

Took my 15 year son son to Sargents Park this afternoon. This was the first time I have been fresh water fishing in about 3 years! We caught a lot of Brim and Blue Gill and just had a great day together.
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Duckbill wrote:
Hooked wrote:How do you guys feel about those big gators when you're in your kayaks. I've stayed away from freshwater in the LHB on thier account, but I sure miss tossing poppers on a 4 wt for big bluegills.
You're speaking my language talking about Bluegills on the fly :D
Now, I have never met Duckbill, but I can tell he is a man of class by the sentence above! :wink:

Duckbill, I see you are from Clermont. How are the lakes at Lake Louisa for Bluegills of fly?

Sorry if I derailed.

As to gators. I have found, if you give them a wide berth, you are fine. Never had an issue unless it was of my own stupidity.
1 3 12 120 3000