Menard Park (Turkey Creek)

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
fuzzy

Menard Park (Turkey Creek)

Post by fuzzy »

My kid has a birthday party to go to at Menard Park (Turkey Creek). I see it as 3 hours I can fish. Any information on fishing there? Launch at the ramp and paddle…where? Any super secret arti bait to use?

Thanks in advance.

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

I used to fish Medard quite a bit from my canoe. I haven't been there in years and I am sure the water level is low.

There used to be a make-shift canoe launch near the front gate, across from the first set of picnic tables as you enter the park. Plenty of protected coves to explore from this launch.

There are fish feeders, structure, etc. But usually the best fishing is in the middle of the coves as long as no one motors in on you. The fish there seem to know what motor noise means, and I have seen a productive cove shut down for a half an hour after some troller motored through.

Catfish, sunshine bass, LMB, specks, bluegill...pick your target. LMB I used motor oil worms, but trolling crankbaits and spinners seems to be the choice of most.

It's a high pressure area, and the best catches usually happen during times of the day that you would least expect it. It turns on for a short time and then gone. So throw out any preconceived ideas of when to fish.

There are gators and THE MAN frequently patrols both the shore and the lake.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I never had much luck up there but as has been said, there is a tremendous amount of fishing pressure on the lake. If you can get into some of the out of the way coves before the stinkpotters put the fish down you may do okay. There are a lot of deep drop-offs and structure all around. It's a nice place but pretty heavily used, especially on weekends
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing