Withlacoochee River Canoe Trail

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Paddled from #6 to #7 Saturday with the local Boy Scouts. The river is very low, we got stuck on a couple of sand bars, but no major obstuctions. I didn't bring the fishing poles but would if we went again. Found a lot of deep holes, saw a few bass and some big cat fish.

We met two other boats the whole day, one fully rigged yak and a jon boat.

We picked up about 30 yards of mono, a dozen bobbers, misc. beer cans, a plastic lawn chair and one of these classic bad boys:

21LS-23

Overall, a very enjoyable day....
James

"... but home to the bank came he, and the remorseless reel gathered up the thread of his life inch by inch." -Kipling
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Sounds like a great trip and good job on the clean up. You should be rewarded with good fishing karma for the rest of the year. :wink:

Silver Lake (#6) is a good spot for the flyrod, but on the weekends it can be pretty crowded.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

bluecrab is right about the crowd. It was that way this weekend. I just did a drive-by. Camp sites were empty though for the most part. Seems as if they're building a check-in station at the entrance to Silver Lake. I bet a fee for launching a boat at the "boat ramp" is in the near future.

Headed on up the road to Nobleton and the Withlacoochee was almost a trickle there. You'd have to pick your route carefully through there or just portage.

Now, on up the road through Istachatta to Bushnell Rd (Highway 48.) where the road crossed the river there was ample water to float your boat.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

My brother lives on the river near Inverness and he said it has come up about a foot and a half in the last week. Should be just about right for paddle trip.
A good way to fish that river on a day paddle is keep a rod rigged with a rubber worm and 1/4 oz weight. When you pass a fallen down tree, cast to the edge and just let the worm drift under the cover as you drift past.
Relaxing way to fish and some times productive.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.