NCAngler Kayak Fishing Meet and Greet

Let's hear reports from other places.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

NCAngler Kayak Fishing Meet and Greet

Post by Erick »

Thought I would throw up some photos I took from the meet and greet yesterday, similar to the old Paddle Ins. Not many fish related, the weather was tough and so were the tides. It was held down at Fort Fisher which is on the coast of North Carolina south of Wilmngton. Interesting place, and I cant wait to try it again under better conditions. There was a raffle for prizes at the end, and lunch was served (dogs, beans, chips, drinks). It was very windy and a tough paddle all the way around. A few fish were caught but not many (couple of blues, trout, flounder and drum (redfish....when I moved to Florida I called them puppy drum, no one knew what I was talking about....you say redfish up here and only about 1/2 the folks know what you are talking about). About 54 people registered for the event, but I think less ended up showing up in the end. It was a good time.

The Launch

Cool camera rigging set up (from a guy who came from NJ, cant remember his name):

Before the wind really got strong:

When you arent taking photos of fish, take an action shot, Scott throwing a cast net:

Even if you arent the best with a cast net.....and these are the only two fish I saw all day!

Where did all the water go, sometimes you dont get to paddle, the tides were extremely low and we did a lot of walking (think total paddle around was about 8 miles...and you know how much I like to paddle):

Few of the folks on the water:

Back at the launch:

The chef, and Druminators dad:

Few of the raffle winners:

Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You paddled 8 miles?? Times sure have changed.

Good to see you getting out Erick, looks like a good time was had by all.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
uncdub13

Re: NCAngler Kayak Fishing Meet and Greet

Post by uncdub13 »

Erick wrote:and drum (redfish....when I moved to Florida I called them puppy drum, no one knew what I was talking about....you say redfish up here and only about 1/2 the folks know what you are talking about).
While growing up and doing most of my saltwater fishing up at the outer banks & hatteras, i mainly knew them as either puppy drum or drum. Most would refer to anything under 27" as a pup, 28-39" fish tend to be called yearlings (dont ask me why, they're obviously older than one year), and 40"+ are drum or "old drum".

Around here (SE NC) it seems like more people refer to them as reds or redfish, but pups, puppy drum, and drum are all pretty common names. Go down to SC to places like charleston, and it almost seems like you hear them called spottails or spot-tailed bass more than anything.

Personally, when i'm fishing for the pup size juvenile fish (usually <32-34") inshore with lures, i usually just call them reds or redfish like most of you guys on here. When refering to the adult fish (40-50"+), i call 'em drum. To me, it's almost like they're different fish. Anyhow, that's my loose definition, and i'm sticking to it :lol: .
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

That's cool, Erick. How long of a drive is it for you? That's got to be close to four hours.

That guy's camera mount is really neat. I wonder if it also moves to an overhead position so it would work for the tourney photos.. ?
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

The 8 miles was not by choice.

The camera mount does not go up. But it was interesting. He sets the timer, moves it out so that he can get a photo. It was in two pieces and when flush against the kayak really did not look like it would be in the way.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing