Alaska Kayak fishing

Let's hear reports from other places.
Jim Sammons LJKF

Alaska Kayak fishing

Post by Jim Sammons LJKF »

Just back from a week of fishing with Howard McKim out at Prince of wales island. This was part two of a video we are doing kayak fishing all over the country this year.
First stop was Florida. We got to kayak fish Boca Grand Pass, told we were the first to do it from kayaks, and that was a blast. Pulled on one Tarpon but it busted me off , but all in all that trip was mostly a bust with super slow fishing, though a great time was had.

In Alaska we were based out of Rocky Bay lodge, which is a floating lodge. These people were awesome and treated us like kings. The fishing was on fire with over a 100 fish a day. Nothing real big, and no salmon to be seen anywhere around but it was a great great trip with tons of cookie cutter 20 pound halibut and lots of lings and rock fish.
One of the highlights was having a pod of Orca cruise by us and the large male breached pretty close to me. We got that on video and a few great still shots of it in the air with me in the frame. Unfortunately I can't post those photos as the photographer asked me not to, he is trying to sell them.
We released most of what we caught and didn't keep a fish until the forth day of fishing and I still came home with a fifty pound box of fillets and spot prawns. I caught most of my fish using the Shimano Lucanus jigs but the fishing was so good we even caught some big fish on a jig we made from three bottle caps. Truly an awesome trip.
Here are a few shots from the trip.

Tiger Rock fish
Ling Cod
Alaskan Halibut
Better Ling
Double on Yelloweye rockfish
Hitchhiking Lingcod
Another good ling
Yellow eye
Rocky bay lodge and float plane
From the plane
China Rock fish
Spot Prawns pulled from the kayak
Howard Mckim
Taking the kayaks for a spin
Lisa the owners daughter, a real gamer.

If you want to see what the video is all about they have put up a web site, not a lot there yet but it will grow as we do more shoots.
http://www.helipress.com/kayakfishingmovie/
Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
www.Kayak4Fish.com
www.KayakFishingmovie.com
www.EastCapeKayakFishing.com
FlaPaddleFish

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

Man...I coulnd't even tell you what half of those fish are. Looks like you had a blast.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Very Very Cool. Congrats.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Great report, and the fish were so diverse. Are they all good to eat? As for the yellow eye in the young lady's mouth. 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Cool assortment of fish caught. Looks cold though.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
bluebill

From tarpon to halibut

Post by bluebill »

Jim - thanks for the report - I was thinking about you that week you were in SW Florida - I recall that it was a slow fish week for everyone - cant remember if it was the weather or tides or both - but, come back sometime - I think you would enjoy fishing for kingfish fro a kayak in the Gulf - just need a mother ship to get you out to the kingfish area like you do in Baja- too bad no salmon to be had up NW
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Jim --- I've tried to hook up with Howard on my last two trips to Alaska, but he was booked.

I can never decide which is my favorite - Alaska or the Tropics. (Life is tough!) Either way, Alaska is one awesome place to fish, kayak fish, or just visit. I think Jon Shein is heading up there for a remote kayak fishing trip soon.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Shep

Post by Shep »

Fishing in Ak. is some good stuff. Ling cod is supposed to be great eating.
New place, new fishing adventures.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

If Lisa wasn't an Obama supporter I'd have to shag her.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.