Lake Davidson

Let's hear reports from other places.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Lake Davidson

Post by Erick »

Due to their success in the NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament, more people are familiar with Davidson College. In this tiny college town is part of Lake Norman which is a huge man made lake here in this part of NC. Lake Davidson is separated from Lake Norman by the interstate and other than possibly some culverts there isnt any way to access one from the other. Similar to lake fishing back in Florida, although it is more shoreline less reeds, lilly pads, grass and other natural structure.

So it was my best guess on what to do, so I went with my "confidence" lure for freshwater, the Rooster Tail...this one happens to be kind of like the Funky Chicken version:

Now as Todd, Mark and some others that I fish with regularly know, I always bring a rain coat...except for today....see the clouds, they would cause some issues later in the morning:

I paddled across from the launch because it looked "fishy" and on my third cast:

And he was the biggest bass of the day. Two more smaller than that, and one very brightly colored panfish of some sort. And that would round out my morning. On the water by 6 and off by 10. After the second soaking rainshower and with a third on the way...no rain jacket, 62 degrees and windy with no sun all clouds, I had enough.

I did decided I am going to rig up my 120 to use without the milkcrate (i.e. adding a behind the seat rod holder) because I really do not need to take much with me to fish this area. And the other good thing, there is nothing really to clean when you get home. No salt to rinse off and thanks to the showers pretty much everything got all the cleaning it needed while out on the water. Not bad for a first outing and having really no idea what I am doing out there.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Mako

Post by Mako »

that's a much better report than the ones you posted when you lived here.....come to think of it, I don't remember you posting any reports before :lol:

glad to hear you're getting out and doing some fishing again :)
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Good job Erick!
Like Peter said... It's good to see you out fishing again.
And catching!!!

Steve
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Are you honestly going to tell me you just took all your gear out of your car and put it straight into the garage without 4 hours of cleaning first? Oh, the horror..... :lol:

Seriously, glad to see you got out to do some fishing again, I knew you wouldn't really give it up for golf! Keep those reports coming...
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Mark can you believe that.....no need though. Makes for a much quicker trip.

Mako, I know, I had never caught a fish till Saturday. I just like paddling, usually dont even make a cast when I am out, I just needed to get a small loop off my reel, that was the reason I even casted the rod anyway. Just happened to have a lure on, that miraculously caught a fish. Probably should have tried that before.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Cool stuff. Really like the first pic.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM