cor blimey, twice in a week

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

cor blimey, twice in a week

Post by ray-uk »

Headed to a local pond with my nephew for a few hours, he had never been fishing before so I was hoping to get him his first fish.

Arrived mid afternoon, sun was out in bursts, wind was blowing which made it rather chilly but hopefully the fish would be biting.
As Robbie had never fished before, I opted to fish with the wind off our backs to make easier for him casting wise.
There was a spot that we could both fit so that was to be the place for the session.

Set up 2 float rods, both similar, 5lbs mono to a 3½lbs hooklength, size 16 hook and a small float.

Bait was to be corn.

After some instruction on what/how etc, Robbie made his first cast.
As I sat watching and giving him some more instruction, his float dipped, then again, then it sailed away, he struck but missed it.
Same thing again, he cast, watched, struck as the float went under only this time he connected with a fish, “yeeesss I’ve got one” could probably be heard from a mile away as he landed his first fish, a small bream.
He carefully unhooked it before gently slipping it back into the water.

so with the next cast made, I poured a hot cuppa and watched again as his float dipped, it sailed away and Robbie was into another fish, this time a bit bigger.
After a short while I was netting his first carp for him, a beautiful little common carp.

Ok so I leave him to it and make a cast myself. As I finished my tea, my float dipped, then, as it sailed away I struck and pretty soon I was netting a mirror carp.

we continued fishing and catching, a variety of fish were caught.
Plenty of roach.

Quite a few small bream were caught by both of us.

We even caught a couple of early season tench.

We carried on fishing till the light started to fade, my flask was empty anyhow so that meant it was time to head home.
The last fish of the day was another mirror carp, small but beautifully coloured.

Despite the cold, it was a good day, robbie ended up catching a total of 14 fish.

Ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Ray, that is a great. That looks extremely relaxing and a good way to spend a day. Sounds like you need a bigger flask!

Oh, and I like the hat.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Nice report. Those Mirror Carp are a really neat looking fish.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Well done. No delivery pizza?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Congrats to your nephew on his first fish. Definitely are some different looking fish across the pond. Are they edible?

Also, by chance was that hat from your P-F.com new member package? :D
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

thanks for the replies.

Also, by chance was that hat from your P-F.com new member package?
yes it was, along with the other goodies i received in the pack.

Are they edible?
they are but its not the done thing over here.
as the majority of fishing is fresh water over here, if we eat them, then we would soon have no fish left to catch.

No delivery pizza
nah, stopped off at a small country pub on the way home instead, after the cold wind it was just so nice to sit in front of a roaring fire with a pint and a home made steak n ale pie.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

ray-uk wrote:...stopped off at a small country pub on the way home instead, after the cold wind it was just so nice to sit in front of a roaring fire with a pint and a home made steak n ale pie...
This just stoked my desire to get over there more than it was already. Really look forward to it someday. :)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Those carp remind me of PA awesome fish to catch especially on light tackle. If I ever go back to my old stomping grounds, I will be catching a few of them on fly.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth