This will make you feel better

Let's hear reports from other places.
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Whoa – That brings back memories. I was at the other end of the UP that night. I remember sitting in bed leaning against the wall studying. I could feel the entire house move.

I have never been through a hurricane. I suspect it was it was close to being in a class one hurricane, only it was closer to freezing than 60°F.

I still find it hard to believe that the Ford boat turned around that night and went back into that storm to look for survivors; and that it was by a unanimous vote of the crew. They were far braver men than me.

Ps - Tech beat us twice that year - 11-1 and 6-4 but then you still the great John MacInnes and we only had Rick Comely - Ron Mason was gone - How is that for name dropping?
Last edited by Upnorth on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Hatch wrote: We used to cross-country ski naked and roll in the snow after a Sauna. :lol:
So thats why you are still so "fit". I will have to keep that in mind for my next trip home.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Hatch wrote:...We used to cross-country ski naked and roll in the snow after a Sauna. :lol:
Frankly Hatch, i and everyone on the forum doesn't believe you're wild enough to have done this. A few pics will help resolve the lack of trust. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Frankly Hatch, i and everyone on the forum doesn't believe you're wild enough to have done this. A few pics will help resolve the lack of trust.

Oh, trust me. When the book comes out, you will all realize how wild I have been. My brother suggested I write one when I saw him last Christmas. I said I forgot a lot of the details and he reminded me that he was around during a lot of it and can fill in the lapses in memory.

Skiing naked was very innocent compared to the many situations I found myself in. Kidnapped by drug dealers in the early 80's and taken to the Bahamas was the scariest.

When I go back to Michigan I may relive some of my adventures and I will take pictures for you all then. :D
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

So thats why you are still so "fit". I will have to keep that in mind for my next trip home.
That's part of it. I have other activities I enjoy that get my heart pounding.

I have never been through a hurricane. I suspect it was it was close to being in a class one hurricane only it was closer to freezing than 60°F
It was worse than a class I. I remember trying to walk and couldn't keep my feet on the ground. 70MPH winds, at least. One of the saddest days of my life.
Ray H

Post by Ray H »

Da UP - unbelievable place. Beautiful scenery, nicest people in the country, and some darn good fishing and hunting. I saw snow for the first time in my life when I arrived there in Jan 1985, about six years after dropping out of college at the Univ of Miami in 1979. I wanted to get away to something different. Marquette fit the bill, for sure. That place definitely is God's country. I loved everything about it, from ice fishing to midnight cross-country skiing on old logging roads to walleye fishing on pristine lakes. Fell asleep in my tent many times to the sound of loons howling in the background. I graduated from NMU in 1987 and stayed there for another 11 yrs after that. Watched NMU hockey win all of their home games in 1990-91 and go on to win the national championship that year. They were one of about five Division II schools that competed in Division I hockey. I still go back there a couple times a year, and this Florida boy will never forget that place. It's right up there with Flamingo and the Keys in my heart.
Roughing it smoothly
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Ray, you sure brought a smile with your apparent love for a place that lives large in my mind and heart. The U.P. is blessed that the weather is harsh and keeps many away. Its pristine beauty would most certainly be destroyed if it was as warm as Florida. Everybody would want to live there.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Hatch wrote: Its pristine beauty would most certainly be destroyed if it was as warm as Florida.
The skiing would probably not be as good either. I think I need to get back up there soon.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Not that I do not like the UP, but in everyone's waxing no where have I seen "black flies", “mosquitoes”, or “No See-um”.

It is easy to keep your beer cold – most of the year.