This will make you feel better

Let's hear reports from other places.
Upnorth

This will make you feel better

Post by Upnorth »

Sunday I decided to offically call it quits for the year. I had been hoping it would warm back up for a little while.

The last time I was out was the Friday after Thanksgiving. I did not get a single fish or hit and I had to brake ice to get the boat out. I had been doing fairly well up until then - averaging a fish every 20 to 30 minutes - which is not bad for northerns.

Sunday, (The high for the day was 29°F) I pulled the rowboat off the hoist and pushed it around to the deck. I found that it pushed easier on the snowmobile tracks. Last January I was fishing out to the canoe where the neighbor had tip-ups set Sunday.

Biggest fish of the year were: Nephew - 52 inch Musky, 28 inch walleye, 36 inch northern - Son, 29 inch northern (first northern), Me 19 smallmouth, 17 inch largemorth, 20 something catfish.

Bottom line I am looking forward to getting down there and wetting a line.
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

:shock: that report sent chills up my spine.
Better hurry up and get down here before the paddle freezes in the water.
Rik

Post by Rik »

And there are already some guys down here wearing waders......

Where in Michigan?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

There is nothing wrong with being warm - wearing wadders is fine with me. It is not the paddle I worry about freezing.

Middle of the mitt. (Sanford Lake), althougth the musky and 36 inch pike came out of the UP - http://www.musky-guide-resort.com/

We also had some king salmon out of Traverse Bay - only fish of the year that I kept as they die soon anyway.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

We also had some king salmon out of Traverse Bay - only fish of the year that I kept as they die soon anyway.
mmmm yummy fresh chinooks..Good job on the 36 inch northern - and your sons, 29 inch first northern .
8)
Won't be long and the waldos and pike will be iceable..that's always fun. but coooold. Too cold for these old bones anymore. :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Excellent report. U gotta be seriously nuts to fish in that weather.

...nuts i tell ya. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

...nuts i tell ya.

That is what I was worried about freezing :roll:
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Ahhh, I have been dreaming about fishing in Michigan lately.Having grown up in Midland, Sanford doesn't sound as alluring as Traverse or the U.P, but that would even do. (no gators) I definitely want to get up there next year and do some kayak fishing. I will be heading for the Keewenaw with stops along the way.
Stacy
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

My final two choices for college were NMU and FSU. I think I made the right choice. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

My final two choices for college were NMU and FSU. I think I made the right choice.

But you only "think" you did. Marquette would have been a great choice too. Lots of parties and "God's Country" right outside your door.Image
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I made up my mind when the golf coach told me there would be snow on the ground the first and last 2 tournaments of the year. I did do some great Salmon fishing 2 miles from compus that visit.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

I made up my mind when the golf coach told me there would be snow on the ground the first and last 2 tournaments of the year.
Use an orange ball.
We used to cross-country ski naked and roll in the snow after a Sauna. :lol:
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Bearsfan

My borther was a Northern (NMU) grad and I have some close ties to Ferris State University (FSU). I tend to agree with you that Ferris was the better choice if you like golf. :wink: I mean they do have thier own golf course.
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Upnorth,
He really wimped out and went to the other FSU-Florida State University. :lol: I, on the other hand, went to Michigan Tech to be an "enganeer". I have much more Sisu than BF.
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Hatch - Sorry about those long hours in the "library".

I am shocked you mean he did not mean the crimson and gold of Ferris State. Well live and learn.

So does the other FSU also have a hockey team?

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/sports/hockey/
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Hatch - Sorry about those long hours in the "library".
How did you know that?!? :shock: I was there the day the Edmund Fitzgerald went down.