Steinhatchee reds

Big Bend to Pensacola
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Steinhatchee reds

Post by sfurman »

Well I arrived in Steinhatchee Friday night and my neighbors are out side hosing down their boat so I asked them how they did. They said they did good on trout and the weather was so nice and calm they decided to run a little off shore since it was like glass. They didn’t do much off shore but had a good day anyway. That was Friday.

Now it is Saturday, the weekend, the day I don’t have to work and I get to go fishing. I get to my spot and there is already a stiff breeze blowing. It got stronger as the day went on. Low tide was at 11:30 and was not supposed to be negative. The wind was straight out of the east and by 9:00 there was already dry land 100 yards from the saw grass. I fished all day in 1’ of water or less. The reds were everywhere though. Not tailing but they were there. You had to look out for the boils which were hard to spot among the white caps. I fished mostly top water which was tough with no water and the reds would slam it. Lots of nice trout in the creek too.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Very nice Steve. Did you fish your creek or mine? :wink:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I fished mine, I had my canoe with the trolling motor on it and it was tough as there wans't enough water anywhere to run the motor. Well that is not entirely true but I did a lot of poling and some dragging.
Steve
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

Way to go Steve. I am going to try to come down Teusday of next week if I can get away. I assume "your creek" is further down the road from Snookfinatics creek.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Either creek has its good points I have only tried your creek once and it was such a low tide I couldn't get out. The mud flat at the mouth of the creek was very sticky. I am refering to Pine log.

I am planning on going up this week end so I will be hitting one of those creeks on saturday.
Steve
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

Pine Log is a bitch, especially in low tide. I wont go there without a GPS again since I almost ended up spending the night there trying to find the launch again.

I usually go out of RC and have good results there.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Snook712 wrote:Pine Log
I didn't know you were allowed to say that on the internet.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

BearsFan wrote:
Snook712 wrote:Pine Log
I didn't know you were allowed to say that on the internet.
They'll never learn.

finaticdesigns.com
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I know I screwed up, :roll: there will be a flotilla there Saturday I am sure but, that is okay that will distract them from where I will be. :wink:
Steve
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

PL is now a private hunting club. Can't get to it anymore (big gate).
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Dustin wrote:PL is now a private hunting club. Can't get to it anymore (big gate).
That sucks guys. Wasn't that county land? Wildlife mgmt. How did they manage to purchase it for a private hunting club?

Dustin, I'll be up your way. I have a trip booked out of RC with a small group. (Nov. 15th) Come join us.

finaticdesigns.com
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Dustin wrote:PL is now a private hunting club. Can't get to it anymore (big gate).
No way. That is Tide Swamp WMA - Jena Unit. I will check it out this week end. Although many WMAs are privately owned land they usually don't just close them without some kind of notice and I haven't heard of any but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I will verify.
Steve
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

sfurman wrote:Jena Unit.
I wasn't sure you could say that either......

BearsFan to officers "Ohhhhh, that fence"
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

BearsFan wrote:
sfurman wrote:Jena Unit.
I wasn't sure you could say that either......
That's it Steve, one more peep and you are kicked out of the Supersecretspotsofthebigbendpaddlefishingplacesthatnoonefromthebaywillfindandactuallygothatfaranyway
club. :lol:

finaticdesigns.com
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Sorry guys, I forget these are all top secret I will try to do better.

And yes Dustin is right, it is all private land now and there is nothing but fences and gates. Gosh I remember when I was a kid you could fish anywhere you wanted to now it really is all fences and gates. Bummer.
Steve
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

sfurman wrote:Sorry guys, I forget these are all top secret I will try to do better.

And yes Dustin is right, it is all private land now and there is nothing but fences and gates. Gosh I remember when I was a kid you could fish anywhere you wanted to now it really is all fences and gates. Bummer.
There is very few places left up that way that had access anyway. I found out a few areas of the WMA was sold. You will no longer have access to most of the creeks on both sides of the river. :cry:
Good thing I found an area full of tailin' reds here.

finaticdesigns.com