St. George next week and in need of advice.

Big Bend to Pensacola
Uniform6

St. George next week and in need of advice.

Post by Uniform6 »

Comming up from Bradenton and staying on St. George next week, June 7-14th and I'm looking for a little direction. It's more of a relaxing/hanging out trip but will be fishing from shore when I can. Wouldn't mind a short drive to find some fish. will bring a fly rod and spinner.

Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in fishing on a morning.

Dustin
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

The East End in the state park. If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle it is a great way to spend a day. Check in at the ranger station, I think it costs about $10. They will give you the combination to a locked gate and you can off road to the end of the island. Great opportunity for tarpon, big reds, and lots of sharks.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Uniform6

Post by Uniform6 »

thanks, don't have 4wd but we'll end up in the park eventually.

we got stuck in a jeep years ago out there. sugar sand. no winch. no other vehicle. fun. :wink:
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

St. Joe Bay may be worth the drive. Also, IMHO Cape San Blas has much better beach fishing.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

BearsFan wrote:St. Joe Bay may be worth the drive. Also, IMHO Cape San Blas has much better beach fishing.
And also where the canal hits St Joe Bay just north of Port St Joe. A great flounder and trout location. You can drive right up to that location and wade it or you can put a kayak in there.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Uniform6

Post by Uniform6 »

thanks for the help!
If we have time i'll check it out.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

So, how did it go??
Uniform6

Post by Uniform6 »

Thanks for the help all.

well........... Bob and I fished the first few early mornings down by 10th st.(while the womenfolk slept) with a good trout bite and 1 red for each of us each outting.

Thursday we went to rattlesnake Pt/cove and waded the entire point catching a few ladyfish, some small flounder and a lone red.

Friday evening we went for a wade at 10th st again to fish the low. Upon entering the water we were greated with a big waving tail and Bob popped him right away. we waded east and saw a few more tails and caught a few small trout.

It all looks fishy. lots of coast line to cover.

we did go for a canoe trip one day and took the fly rods and fished with poppers for some shell crackers and bluegill with some small bass mixed in.

Eddy Teachs ended up being about 100yds from where we stayed.

Ate plenty of sea food, drank plenty of rum.............etc.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Great report. I would like to spend more time fishing the panhandle. Think a kayak fishing excursion might be in order.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Erick wrote:Great report. I would like to spend more time fishing the panhandle. Think a kayak fishing excursion might be in order.
Don't forget yer drinkin' boots.

LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Erick wrote:Great report. I would like to spend more time fishing the panhandle. Think a kayak fishing excursion might be in order.
It will be my vacation destination in the near future actually. Yes, I do go fishing on my vacations. Shocking, I know.

Uniform, I'm glad you had a good time. The biggest school of tailers I ever ran in to was up there around Carabelle Beach.
Uniform6

Post by Uniform6 »

After visiting Cape San Blas and Port St. Joe we decided (even though we didn't fish it) that they look more fishy than St. George. Also seems to be a lot more access to kayak and wading spots. Lots of needle rush and creek mouths.

After we made it home I did discover a mangrove crab had stowed away in my wading boot. He now lives with my sons hermit crabs.

The view from one of the balconies.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showph ... puser/1647
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

They're probably getting king mackerel off the old docks at St Joe right now.

Flounder and trout at the mouth of the ICW canal just north of the bridge.

Blacks Island is an area that I'd like to launch and fish the next time I go up there.

The Dixie Belle is a great place to stay for really cheap. They have a fillet station and a freezer in the back.
The owner, Dan, is a good guy.

I hate being there when those biting flies are around but it's one of my favorite destinations to fish.

Thanks for the info on your trip

Neil