Friday caledesi island

Flamingo to Big Bend
nemo327

Friday caledesi island

Post by nemo327 »

Friday morning I launched at Dunedin Causeway. Wind was relatively calm tide incoming. This was the first time I've been out this year so I was scouting my favorite spots. I started using a white paddle tail plastic on the way to the island. Suddenly there was a strike and then I pulled in a 3 lb trout. The signs looked good. However; that was the only bite I got! Next I made it to the mangrove shoreline. Stopping frequently to fish the schools of large mullet. This resulted in 1 15 in. red fish. I reached the mangrove just about 1 hour before high tide. The wind was picking up so I fished the lee side of a mangrove point using shrimp. No takers not even a pin fish. I moved to the wind side of the point and immediately caught a red. Then another and another until I ran out of shrimp. They were all lower slot fish. The wind was howling st this time but blowing toward the causeway so I let it carry me back to the launch. While drifting I used the white paddle tail and caught lady fish and small trout, No fish were taken home for dinner all was catch and release today. Prospects are looking good for the coming fishing season The usual crowds of kayakers were conspicuously absent maybe because of the wind. The conditions were "sporty" on the return with some waves splashing over the side. A good day.