Lock jaw

Flamingo to Big Bend
nemo327

Lock jaw

Post by nemo327 »

Super low tide Friday morning. I launched the kayak on the South side of Dunedin causeway based on wind direction. I paddled to Caladesi looking for reds. Using a paddle tail with a chartreuse head I got several bites and SURPRISE a slot snook! This was in 12 inches of water. I then noticed allot of activity on a nearby flat again in 12 inches or less. I thought holy cow the mother load of red fish. When I paddled over I noticed that the fins were sycicle shaped and black.
There were hundreds of black drum as far as I could see. I threw lures cut bait live bait nothing. These fish were chasing and tailing but not a single bite. I could have waded and used my castnet they were so close and the water only a foot deep. These fish were in the 10 pound range. Hours later I called it a day my score was 1 bonus snook and 1 slot red. This was a good news bad news day.
fishshooter99

Re: Lock jaw

Post by fishshooter99 »

Congrats on the slot snook. Those drum are nuts. They have crazy tunnel vision when they're feeding. I think you could bump a bait off of their nose and they'd never even notice it if it's not what they're eating. Thanks for the report.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia