Wind wind wind

Flamingo to Big Bend
fishshooter99

Wind wind wind

Post by fishshooter99 »

I just finished the 2 week family vacation/fishing trip to AMI. For the last several months I'd envisioned hungry, post mating tarpon waiting on the surface to devour whatever I placed before them. Truth be told, I figured I'd get to sit for countless hours off of the beach hoping for one good jump.

The forces that be decided it would be best to pound the beach with W and S/W winds for the entire two weeks. It turns out, that wasn't so bad.

I decided to fish the surf for snook with an older guy that I've know for 30 years or so. Tom is a beach snook pro, and had been for the last 70 some odd years. We absolutely slayed them for a couple of mornings. No monsters, but a dozen or so from 16 to 28 or so. Best of all though were the stories of when his dad took him as a boy and they would camp under mosquito nets on the beach. Image

One morning walking the beach to spot snook territory I heard someone calling my name. I turn to find a friend from high school. For work I had to move to Atlanta 27 years ago. I'm not sure which impressed me more, that he'd recognize the much older version, or that he recognized the slightly heavier version of me. Either way I invited him to join me kayak fishing the flats Friday for our last day of vacation. While it wasn't a stellar day of fishing, I did manage a lower slot red, a small trout, and hooked a beast snook. She put up a great fight before straightning the hooks on a new Super Spook jr. Kayak side. Image

In the end the winds didn't destroy the vacation and the Tarpon will have to wait until next year.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Wind wind wind

Post by jbdba01 »

It's been a couple rough weeks for fishing on the Southshore area - with all this rain who knows what'll happen. They gotta eat at some point, but I haven't even bothered going out.

Couple weeks ago the flats were a water temp of +90 and full of monkey snot; now storms and winds have messed things up enough that I don't want to just burn fuel in yea ol'stink pot to find bigger fish.

Just waiting it out.
JB
fishshooter99

Re: Wind wind wind

Post by fishshooter99 »

jbdba01 wrote:It's been a couple rough weeks for fishing on the Southshore area - with all this rain who knows what'll happen. They gotta eat at some point, but I haven't even bothered going out.

Couple weeks ago the flats were a water temp of +90 and full of monkey snot; now storms and winds have messed things up enough that I don't want to just burn fuel in yea ol'stink pot to find bigger fish.

Just waiting it out.
As far as the flats, if there is one good thing, the water temp on Friday was much cooler than it was two weeks ago as a result of all the rain, cloud cover and cooler days. It seemed to me that there was a little more fish activity as a result.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia