A first visit to Tampa Bay

Flamingo to Big Bend
paully

A first visit to Tampa Bay

Post by paully »

First, let me say thank you and hello.

I’ve been lurking about your forum for a short while now, and really like what I have found. No nonsense kayak fishing and friendly fellowship. For that I thank you. It’s a relief from the bla bla bla flex and strute that gets stirred up on some forums.

I have finally gotten things worked out and will be in the Tampa Bay area next week, actually staying in Hudson but that’s an easy commute. By the looks of things may be making several trips a year. And hey I’m already there…why not fish.
Now I’m not a pup, and started kayak fishing before it got popular. Truth be told “back in our days” everybody said we were nuts.

I’m not asking for “I’d have to kill you if I told you” fishing spots, or secret baits grandpa gave you….but I would ask for a basic guidance on fishing in and around Tampa Bay.
I thought I would start around Skyway and Gandy bridges, mostly due to it’s in my comfort zone and it’s big structure and shade…..for the fish. :roll: I fish the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in Virginia and many of the bridges around the North Carolina islands…it’s home and they’re in or around the inlets.
My goal is to just experience the reef/bottom fish we don’t get this far north and if given the chance, make an offer to a tarpon or a cobia.
We get a lot of sheepies, trigger, and spades; but not the snapper and grouper species. The tradeoff there I’d say is you guys don’t get the 40 – 60 lb. strippers in the colder months. Sorry for yall, but I’m ok with that trade. We do get some tarpon in the latter part of the summer, however not the numbers you have nor the water clarity. Flounder are always a key target for the Bay as well as trout and reds. We do chase red drum, the big 40 – 50 inch class drum in the spring and fall, and cobia during the summer. Honestly, I’ll paddle far and long for a good cobia bite.

So…my main question….am I heading in the right direction as a starting point with the bridges I mentioned.

tight lines;
paully
Rik

Re: A first visit to Tampa Bay

Post by Rik »

First off, I'm not a bridge guy. Too much current to deal with and too many power boats.

If you want tarpon, go 100 yards off any beach and put out a bait - whatever your sabiki brings up, pinfish preferred. They are not here now in the numbers that we had last month but those that are around are biting. They're done with the mating stuff and now they are hungry. You know how it is, once you're done with your horizontal mambo you ask your girl to go make you a sandwich.

My suggestion is to beg to go with a few of the guys on here that are chasing tarpon. Most of us are very quiet about tarpon fishing out of fear that if we say "Hey, we'll be at Captain Hook's beach going for tarpon in the morning" (no, don't start searching Google earth for that) that they'll have 57 of their new best friends launching with them. Since you are only here for a week and seem to not be a newbie, you might get a private message or two. I'm 2 hours or more south of you. It isn't worth the drive - you'll pass by 1000's of tarpon and dozens of good launches on your way down - and I can't get out during the week anyway.

For a nice experience of mangrove tunnels and fishing Florida flats, I'd suggest Weedon Island Preserve.

North of Tampa, I hope others will chime in. Tampa is the north end of my range.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Very few kayakers venture to the Skyway. I've seen one guy somewhat consistently, but every time I think he's nuts. He doesn't seem to wear a PFD, no flag; so he's pretty comfortable with the whole scene. He has a peddle boat - so at least he's using the stronger muscles.

The tide there can be daunting and lots of power boats who aren't expecting kayakers. So it's full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes - you'll have to deal with anything from bay boats to cargo ships.

Personally I would skip the Skyway - mainly for safety sake. That said don't let me talk you out of it, but I personally wouldn't do it. I go out there in my stink pot and have enough issues.

Poon are off the beach and probably a "safer" bet, but I would go tandem.

There used to be a series of articles on "how to's" off the home page; not sure where they went. Redfish, Tarpon Fishing...really good stuff. Perhaps the moderator can point those out. They were under "Articles".
JB
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I found this thread extremely helpful when I started looking into tarpon fishing from the kayak.
http://www.paddle-fishing.com/beach-patrol-kayak-style/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Brett

Post by Brett »

The articles JB mentioned are here: http://www.paddle-fishing.com/category/ ... s-tactics/
Midwestern freshwater kayak fisher-of-whatever's-biting