This Tarpon Fishing is Easy

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

This Tarpon Fishing is Easy

Post by Manning »

Told myself that I was not going tarpon fishing this year until someone else put one in the air. Well DaveR took care of that Sunday so off I went this morning. Met DaveR and Noles a zero dark thirty. Wind we blowing pretty good out of the east and there were no waves at the beach. Getting bait was quick and easy. I anchored up about 100 yard off the beach. (I knew to anchor there since that is where Dave was...I ain't no fool!). I had 5 pin fish and a cigar minnow in the bucket so first up was the cigar minnow. He hadn't been out here 20 minutes when my bobber disappeared and the reel started to sing. On the first jump I was happy to see that it was a smaller fish. Perfect for my first fight of the year. Got it back to the boat in about 5 minutes, but it was still pretty green. The fish gave me a couple nice close jumps, a good saltwater bath and then it broke loose. I had the bobber reeled all the way to the rod tip a couple times so I was very happy with the whole deal.

Here is about 45 seconds of highlights from my GoPro. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/S0UQ2JrpyCk
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DoubleM

Re: This Tarpon Fishing is Easy

Post by DoubleM »

Very nice Steve :-B
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: This Tarpon Fishing is Easy

Post by DaveR »

Well done Steve!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.